• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do we stand on Harry Potter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
I don't think anyone sensible can see Rowling's views as anything but shaped by her own experiences and desire to protect women even though she may be wrong.
I don't think I can see Rowling's views as anything but pure and vile hate, but that's me. I agree JK don't deserve death threats, but I can't see how someone standing for a position that threatens the very existence of an already endangered group can come from a good place.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I don't think I can see Rowling's views as anything but pure and vile hate, but that's me. I agree JK don't deserve death threats, but I can't see how someone standing for a position that threatens the very existence of an already endangered group can come from a good place.
A group that, in spite of not, typically, being world-famous billionaire bigots, are nonetheless also consistently inundated with death threats

Undrave

Legend
This seems like wishful thinking to me. We're talking about a franchise worth billions, in the words of Forrest Gump, "It's a household name," and for many young people Potter not Tolkien was their introduction to fantasy. If anything, I think Potter's influence will be felt even more in the coming years.
Half a Star Wars so far. List of highest-grossing media franchises - Wikipedia

Call of Duty is closing in fast.

A group that, in spite of not, typically, being world-famous billionaire bigots, are nonetheless also consistently inundated with death threats
And now people use the HP Death Spell to taunt trans people on Twitter, basically threatening them with death.
Interestingly having just googled Rowling I saw that a 7-piece audio podcast featuring her where she talks about the tweets etc is set to be released 21 Feb. It's called "The Witch Trials of JK Rowling"
Oh boy... rich white lady whines about being the real victim, a seven part series...

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
If we can talk about Cthulhu without calling each other racists, we can talk about the Potterverse with calling each other bigots. We don't have to even mention the authors or their reprehensible views. An entire generation grew up on Harry Potter. We don't get to tell them they are bad people for their formative media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads