D&D Movie/TV Where is all of the Honor Among Thieves D&D stuff, WotC?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That seems like Hasbro has a lack of faith in the D&D studio, not the movie
See, I work with some underperforming coworkers. The way you handle it isn't to say "well, I guess that task is never getting done." If, for some reason, you don't want to replace them, you put an arm around their shoulder and hand them the list of things they will be doing.

If Hasbro had little faith in WotC in this regard, they should have asked to see all of the planned movie tie-in products due at the same time they reviewed the licensed products. Treat them the same, with the caveat that they will be coming up with pitches.

Here you go, official Honor Among Thieves D&D minis and plush figs, the "whole collection": Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
A monodrone plush? Rendered to look like Tony DiTerlizzi's art!?
Kidrobot-Dungeons-And-Dragons-3-Inch-Collectible-Plush-Charms-Wave-2-10_1000x1000.jpg

Maybe its a wait and see how the movie does? Hit it hard and long at the anniversary party?
Not sure if the design and production lead time would allow that. If your movie goes well, you want the merch to be available immediately, not five months later once your minions have had a chance to design it and it's made it through shipping hell on the slow boat from Guangzhou.

I will note that out side of a possible cameo in Golden Keys (like damn that was the least exciting blurb for a hard cover ever), that the most likely tie in product for the movie would be Edgin's Guide to the Forgotten Realms (One D&D Campaign Setting Book), with little post-it comments from Edgin the Bard with quips from Holga or someone else.

I mean between various 5e hard covers, the Drow changes being covered hy RA Salvator novels, the upcoming movie + tie in novels (including a new Lord of Neverwinter), and a new edition with tradition being FR gets a setting book and Ray Winningers hint of a setting revisit for 2024, and fans of FR begging for years for stuff outside getting better covered then what was in the SCAG this could be the prime book to feature the movie characters on the cover and in the name.
That was certainly what I was hoping for (as someone who's only mildly interested in the movie but would jump all over a beefed-up FR setting book). But we're not even seeing a movie-branded starter set, and that'd surely be the most no-brainer directly gaming-related tie-in imaginable.

edosan

Adventurer
Maybe its a wait and see how the movie does? Hit it hard and long at the anniversary party?
That’s really not how movie tie-ins work. If they were going to do a book it retailers would have been able to order it months ago.

If we were talking about, say, a Star Wars movie, places like Barnes and Noble would have had displays up for weeks at this point. If they’re waiting for the 50th, that’s like a year too late for a movie tie-in.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is so ridiculously obvious that the only reasonable explanation is that they actively did not want one. That tells you that either they are idiots, or they know (and have known) that the movie reeks so bad it might damage the game.
Do we know if they're preventing early reviews? That's usually the red flag that a movie is a stinker. (I don't think we would have seen any reviews yet under ordinary circumstances, though, since it's not like this has been on the festival circuit.)

Remove ads