D&D Movie/TV Where is all of the Honor Among Thieves D&D stuff, WotC?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't know. One the one hand I see what you're saying. They've done Stranger Things and Rick and Morty tie-ins, both of which were intended to drive more people to check out D&D, so why not a D&D tie-in?

On the other hand, everything they publish already has the name of the movie on it in a sense. I can see an argument for thinking that the starter set on the shelf at Target is already there for folks walking out of the movie to grab if the movie interested them and it already has the movie's branding on it in the sense that the words "Dungeons & Dragons" is plastered on the box.

On the gripping hand, I feel like I know what a D&D movie-tie in Starter Set would have looked like and I'm kind of happy they didn't.
Stormwreck Isle has been really well received, both by critics and actual DMs. I trust that they could have put the same team to work and just said "this is good, now do it in Neverwinter where the PCs will cross paths with characters and settings from the movie" and do a great job of it.

Likewise, getting together multiple sets of dice, one per character, and including a character sheet with each set would be a seriously low-energy tie-in that would likely generate some sales. Include, alongside the character sheet, some information about the free Basic Rules and Lost Mines of Phandalin adventure on D&D Beyond, and you've made an $8 sale that might turn someone into a lifelong gamer.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They wouldn't call it 'The Forgotten Realms' either. "I've been meaning to ask... Who's forgotten about our realms exactly?" "I dunno... folks?" "Where?" "I dunno"

They should make a Funko Pop Mimic that looks like a Funko Pop box with teeth all around the window. Or that replace the plastic insert in the box.

Also, I want to see them do a gelatinous cube.
They did a mimic like that a year or two back. And they did a gelatinous cube for a convention in the Pacific Northwest that was to take place in late 2020 that became a GameStop online exclusive as well. I snatched one up, and it's the only Funko Pop that I have out displayed (and only one of two I still own, post work-from-home-office-decor-purge).

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Snails was the least objectionable part of the original movie.
I am just being silly…

Yeah that was a big miss. God…I just don’t want the movie to get tons of promotion and then give new current players a bad initial impression of D&D…

Whatever. I just recruit people I know through the actual game anyway.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
They did a mimic like that a year or two back. And they did a gelatinous cube for a convention in the Pacific Northwest that was to take place in late 2020 that became a GameStop online exclusive as well. I snatched one up, and it's the only Funko Pop that I have out displayed (and only one of two I still own, post work-from-home-office-decor-purge).

Wow I wish that mimic was cheaper! (Ah, found some cheaper ones).

Undrave

Legend
They're cowards for not making an empty cube :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases