D&D 5E Where is the content?

The Big BZ

Explorer
Yeah, there are some. I have run parts of Rappan Athuk and Tegel Manor from Frog God, but there's just not as many choices. I wonder what had been released by this point in the lifecycle of 3.x in comparison. Personally, I don't remember ever running low on options back then.
Maybe it's the expansion of other game systems (DCC, S&W, Numenera, etc) that is shifting the 3pp's focus away from D&D?
Agree. There's no shortage of one shottish 3rd party stuff but a real shortage of APs. My fervant hope is that MT Black with do an AP for his Calimshan guide which is fantastic.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Curious what you mean by "vetted" in this context?

But your post also reminded me of this book that made a splash several months ago:

That book is absolutely brilliant by the way. As good as and better in parts than anything Wizards has done. (Particularly the intro). We used bits of it in our Saltmarsh campaign and for the Baldur's Gate part of Descent. Highy recommend it.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, there are some. I have run parts of Rappan Athuk and Tegel Manor from Frog God, but there's just not as many choices. I wonder what had been released by this point in the lifecycle of 3.x in comparison. Personally, I don't remember ever running low on options back then.
Maybe it's the expansion of other game systems (DCC, S&W, Numenera, etc) that is shifting the 3pp's focus away from D&D?
But the 5e market seems huge, I would think that would attract the big guns in. Maybe DMsGuild is hurting in this regarded.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Based on my own observation, I'd say that what a lot of third-party publishers seem to be making for 5E is their own settings. These typically include individual adventures, which may be linked into a campaign, rather than full campaign books.

And I remember during the early days of 5E, lots of people complained that they didn't want full hardback single campaigns; they wanted individual adventure modules that they could mix and match. So maybe third party publishers heard that and figured that was their best niche?

The Big BZ

Explorer
Based on my own observation, I'd say that what a lot of third-party publishers seem to be making for 5E is their own settings. These typically include individual adventures, which may be linked into a campaign, rather than full campaign books.

And I remember during the early days of 5E, lots of people complained that they didn't want full hardback single campaigns; they wanted individual adventure modules that they could mix and match. So maybe third party publishers heard that and figured that was their best niche?
Maybe yeah. I can tell you now if someone was cranking out high quality generic fantasy 1 - 20 APs I think they would make bank. Very little high level stuff around aswell, it gets harder and harder to run one's campaign after 15 for want of material. I know all there research says campaigns generally end around 12ish but it gets to the stage where it becomes chicken and egg.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Dear God that pace is withering.

My home campaign group is lvl 6 (almost 7) and a year and a half in!

Meeting roughly every 2 weeks and 3 hours per session.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Dear God that pace is withering.

My home campaign group is lvl 6 (almost 7) and a year and a half in!

Meeting roughly every 2 weeks and 3 hours per session.
Maybe. I think our longers sessions help us get through more material because inevitably everyone has to catch up and chat at the start of each session. Obviously that eats more into shorter sessions.

Retreater

Legend
Curious what you mean by "vetted" in this context?

But your post also reminded me of this book that made a splash several months ago:

Reviewed, published by known companies with a proven track record, written by industry professionals (instead of fans uploading PDFs of unknown quality). That's what we had in the 3.x era. Not so much anymore.

Remove ads