D&D 5E Where is the content?

The Big BZ

Explorer
Since you are the player, not the DM, pass these two suggestions from DM's Guild to them:

They both add on to Descent into Avernus and the first one includes material to get characters up to level 20. And they are from the Guild Adepts program, so they are as close to official as possible without being a hardcover published by WotC directly.
Thanks for that. Our DM has used Avernus Encounters in Avernus liberally. We generally use the Adept stuff to pad out the hardbacks. The companion thing they do each one is particularly good. I'll pass on the Incursion one though.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Buy Odyssey of the Dragonlords, its both settting and adventure for levels 1 to 20.
As I say upthread we have looked at that. It looks great and the author's credentials are impeccable, we actually used bits of Heros of Baldur's Gate in our Saltmarsh Campaign and early in our current campaign but Dragonlords would be a pretty big change in aesthetic. We have running pretty much been the same campaign since the PHB dropped so it would take a fair amount of filing the numbers off to make it work and once you get into that you might aswell convert a home run classic like Night Below etc.

The Big BZ

Explorer
How many sessions does it usually take to finish an adventure? Do you usually play them as written?
We play them largely as written yeah. We excise some of the meta plot sometimes cause find that a bit wearing, for instance our Death Curse was localised to Chult rather than Realms wide but nothing that would shorten them really. If anything we pad them out a bit with extras like the Adept companion or using the optional boss lair at the end of Dragon Heist etc.

As to number of sessions I think we are 12 sessions deep in DitA and are at Level 11 strictly sticking to the by the book milestone levelling.

R_J_K75

Legend
As to number of sessions I think we are 12 sessions deep in DitA and are at Level 11 strictly sticking to the by the book milestone levelling

I've never played a pre-written 5E D&D module but It'd seem to me that at half a year in and roughly 2 more levels to go you're probably on pace with the average group? IDK how long does the average group take to finish a module such as DitA? Anyone know?

The Big BZ

Explorer
I've never played a pre-written 5E D&D module but It'd seem to me that at half a year in and roughly 2 more levels to go you're probably on pace with the average group? IDK how long does the average group take to finish a module such as DitA? Anyone know?
I would have thought as much but judging from the reponses here are lightning warp speed factor 9! I have heard horror stories of people taking multiple multiple sessions just to get out of the cell at there start of OotA and I personnally know a group that spent 5 plus sessions on the caravan from Waterdeep to Neverwinter in ToD. That to me is the slow death of the soul but each to their own.

R_J_K75

Legend
I would have thought as much but judging from the reponses here are lightning warp speed factor 9! I have heard horror stories of people taking multiple multiple sessions just to get out of the cell at there start of OotA and I personnally know a group that spent 5 plus sessions on the caravan from Waterdeep to Neverwinter in ToD. That to me is the slow death of the soul but each to their own.

Youre averaging about a level a session huh? That seems too fast for my taste. But I suppose if you have a DM and players that know the rules enough to level that quick it probably works for your group.

Baumi

Adventurer
Wow that's an really impressive Speed! 8D

We need 1-2 Years for an Hardcover (at the moment 50+ Session in Out of the Abyss and in Dungeons of the Madman we are still in Level 1 after 4 Sessions) :)

If you rush so quick through a mayor Adventure, than it might really be a cool Idea (from a poster before) to run through it multiple times with different Characters .. a bit like a Rogue-lite, where you try do outdo yourself from last time (Focus mainly on the Combat and Skill-Rolls and less on the Roleplay and Riddles) or try to come up with other methods to defeat the big bad. You could also increase the Difficulty like many Computer Games do.

Alternatively there are tons of cool new Megadungeons for OSR which shouldn't be to hard to convert (or simply play with an OSR System). Like Stonehell Dungeon, The Nighmares Underneath (Dungeon Full of Monsters) or Barrowmaze. There is a nearly endless amount of high quality stuff coming out for these games.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Youre averaging about a level a session huh? That seems too fast for my taste. But I suppose if you have a DM and players that know the rules enough to level that quick it probably works for your group.
Roughly a level a session I guess yeah. Early levels we can multiple levels in one session and then maybe slow down in the middle etc. it's not hard and fast, we are strictly book dictated milestone at the moment. We have done 1 - 20 pure XP in 11months before too though as I say above. We are all experienced players, medium RP so we play our characters but we don't spend a full session hiding behind a cart RPing coming with up with a plan to attack 2 goblins etc.

R_J_K75

Legend
We are all experienced players, medium RP so we play our characters but we don't spend a full session hiding behind a cart RPing coming with up with a plan to attack 2 goblins etc.

Seems like a good balance between RPing and mechanics. I just started a new campaign last night and thats kind of where I hope to get my players soon. Half RPing and half mechanical encounters. I just want them not to take forever to make a decision as you said.

Remove ads