• In the culture

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • In the background

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Totally freeform, wherever you like

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • No ability bonuses, maybe an extra species feature instead

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Split between species/culture/background (say +1 from each?)

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Some other option

Votes: 25 16.3%

Well, not to somebody who doesn’t want to play a half orc bard, no, I guess it’s not. But just because you don’t want to play one, does that mean nobody else should be allowed to?
Everyone is allowed to. It just isn't OPTIMAL. But since when is optimal supposed to be important. Sure min/maxers will eschew suboptimal builds. But the average player will gladly play the half-orc bard with just a 15 in Charisma if that's the character they yearn to play.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Everyone is allowed to. It just isn't OPTIMAL. But since when is optimal supposed to be important. Sure min/maxers will eschew suboptimal builds. But the average player will gladly play the half-orc bard with just a 15 in Charisma if that's the character they yearn to play.
What if they yearn to play a super-charismatic half orc with gleaming white tusks that can charm the hind legs off a donkey?

G

Guest 6801328

But this is exactly what I was asking. Why is "Elves grant darkvision" goodrightfun. But "Half-Orcs grant +2 to Strength" is badwrongfun.

Earlier in the thread when you described it in "good" and "bad" terms I responded with this:

I wouldn't call racial ASIs "bad" in the moral sense, but I do think they are bad design. Evidence suggests that the +2 ASI is so tempting mechanically that many players are choosing race not for roleplaying reasons, but because of mechanical optimization. Some of us think the game would be cooler if more people would pick the race they want to play....if there were more Dwarf rogues and Halforc wizards and Halfling fighters...instead of the one that gives the best bonuses.

And here you are again with the "goodrightfun" and "badwrongfun" nonsense, which leads me to conclude that you aren't really interested in the explanations offered to you, and that mischaracterizing the debate as a morality issue serves some purpose of yours.

If you change your mind about that I'm sure there are people who will want to engage with you.

Derren

Hero
Insulting other members
I can’t be bothered to play word games with you. It’s boring.
No problem. You already have confirmed above that either your definition of "allowed to play" is minmaxed or that you are talking nonsense to justify removing racial ASI because you are afraid to tell the real reason why you think that should be done.

I can’t be bothered to play word games with you. It’s boring.
All I'm saying is people can play Dwarf or Half-Orc Bards if they want to. The only thing stopping them, and apparently this is a huge deal, is that doing so is slightly less optimal than being a Half-Elf or Tiefling Bard.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No problem. You already have confirmed above that either your definition of "allowed to play" is minmaxed or that you are talking nonsense to justify removing racial ASI because you are afraid to tell the real reason why you think that should be done.
Oh, go away Mr 13 warnings. Don’t post in this subforum again. This game isn’t for you. Or this website, frankly. How did you get to 13 warnings without being banned? That’s a record.

Remove ads