• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which +1 Weapon Magical Ability is best ?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
RogueJK said:
Screaming.

There are very few, if any, monsters which are resistant or immune to sonic damage.
Yeah, only slaadi (5 resistance) and formians (20 resistance) of all kinds come to my mind, though there are probably a couple others as well... (But a slaad's 5 resistance is more than enough against the 1d6 of screaming, of course - unless you have multiple attacks per round...)

Downside is, there are also very few (none, possibly) creatures that are especially vulnerable to sonic damage, whereas there are many that take double damage (except on a successful save, if one applies, which it doesn't here) from fire/cold/acid/electricity.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I perfer Acid. Not as practical as screaming, but it's better for the visual. I snap my whip and bits of acid fly off and sizzle on the rock or whatever they hit. It's all about the style.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
the groups Crafter has limit of making a +2 total at most... so I want a +1 with additonal +1 ability.

Is that a house rule?

By the DMG, the prerequisites for +2 and the prerequisites for the 'special abilities' are separate?

Or is the crafter only willing to spend 4000gp and 320 XP?

Geoff.

William Ronald

Explorer
Well, there are a few good tricks for using a flametongue sword, if I may use the old name for it. Burning webs. A source of light. Also, I think screaming weapons are useful. However, sometimes silent and stealth are very useful tools.

Rashak Mani

First Post
He is only 7th lvl... you must have X lvls per bonus... its in the DMG I am told... max for him NOW is +2... he also wouldnt be too willing to part with much more than that in XP anyway. Gold is an issue as well... need spend money on Armor bonuses too....

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Rashak Mani said:
He is only 7th lvl... you must have X lvls per bonus... its in the DMG I am told... max for him NOW is +2... he also wouldnt be too willing to part with much more than that in XP anyway. Gold is an issue as well... need spend money on Armor bonuses too....

This means that the character can only make an enhancement bonus of +2, not a cost equivilent of +2. You could make a +2 sure-striking flaming shock keen defending holy mighty cleaving longsword if he could afford it.

nameless

First Post
As far as +1 abilities go, I would say flaming is the most useful. Not only does it do +1d6 damage on each hit, and act like a torch, but it also negates most regeneration. In the most dangerous encounters at lower levels, the DR of things won't be higher than +2, and trolls die to fire. Fire resistance is something that only usually applies to outsiders.

For +2 equivalents, holy is probably the best. +2d6 damage against most enemies and nailing demons extra hard. A holy crossbow is also pure tech on Rakshashas, since it bestows the property on its ammo.

-nameless

Sure Striking is a nice ability, and allows you to concentrate on the damage inflicting abilities.
But on the Downside, your attacks won`t get better with it ...

My Ranger/Fighter is planning do get a Admantine Flail (for Attack and Damage) +1 (Sure Striking / Something with Energy)...

Personally I think Keen is only useful on weapons who already have a great critical (Rapier, Falchion, and sometimes short, long, bastard and greatsword...), and in campaigns where you not always encounter constructs and undeads - In City and Wilderness Adventures Keen is nice, in a Dungeon Adventure typically worthless...

MythandLore

First Post
It hard to pick just one.
Keen/Impact or Corrosive or Screaming or Merciful or Sure Striking or Warning.
Those are all really useful.

Keen is probably best if your only using basic rules.
With a high crit range weapon it's really really good.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads