• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which +1 Weapon Magical Ability is best ?

Rashak Mani

First Post
I actually made a NPC who had a Great Axe of Throwing and Returning (we should call it boomeranging ?) Still I need at least a +1 to get those pesky +1/10 DR

Since I have a raging strong barbarian... hitting things hasnt been much of an issue... +2 pure isnt a good choice in my opinion.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I actually made a NPC who had a Great Axe of Throwing and Returning (we should call it boomeranging ?) Still I need at least a +1 to get those pesky +1/10 DR

Uh... you need at least a +1 in order to add any special abilities at all.

DR doesn't come into it at that decision point.

-Hyp.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I just used the combat analyzer and as incredible as it might seem ... +2 pure wins +1 keen Great Axe in average damage... the occasional Critical Hit wont compensate the sure fire damage of an extra +1 damage !!! I always thought 20(x3) sucked... just confirmed it...

As for Flaming... the average +3 damage didnt compensate as well... it seems that hitting is more important than damage... flaming was much closer than keen... but it doesnt count the activation round...

Cake Mage

Explorer
doesn't the flaming give +2d6 since its a X3 crit weapon or is that just with flaming burst giving +2d10 on a crit? same would go for frost, shock...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Rashak Mani said:
I just used the combat analyzer and as incredible as it might seem ... +2 pure wins +1 keen Great Axe in average damage
I thought this was obvious. The advantage of keen is that you can stack it with some nasty effects; the advantage of enhancement bonuses is penetrating DR while continuing to increase damage, and the advantage of elemental properties is sheer damage. The disadvantage of elemental weapons is emelental resistances and immunities.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Penetrating DR only then the Sure Strike wins... but I noticed few monsters are +2... a lot are +1 and many start at +3 onwards.

Flaming Burst gives extra d10... flaming is just +d6

tarkin

First Post
Keen and vorpal don't work the way most people think. Keen increases the chance of a normal critical without affecting the chance of a Vorpalization.

I find that I prefer them in this order:

Fire or Frost (Yes some are immune to cold, but some take double damage from them too.)

Spell Storing

Sure Strike

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Keen and vorpal don't work the way most people think. Keen increases the chance of a normal critical without affecting the chance of a Vorpalization.

Justify your assertion.

Page reference?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads