• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Class or classes do you feel are unbalanced-too powerful?

Which class or classes are a bit to strong?

• Barbarian

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Cleric

Votes: 100 45.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 77 34.8%
  • Fighter

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Ranger

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • None-The classes are all more or less balanced

Votes: 80 36.2%

Fortain

First Post
IMO, any class from D&D, whether they're from the PH, Complete series, ECS, etc., can become "overpowered" with careful planning & strategy. Cleric, Rogue, Monk - it doesn't matter, they're only as good as the person who plays them.

Doctor Shaft

First Post
This question is too broad. What do we mean when we say "balanced" or "unbalanced." Don't get me wrong, the question is straight-foward, but in terms of what?

- PVP?

- Straight Dungeon-Crawling

- Roleplay?

- Hack n Slash through the Monster Manual?

- Magic-User vs Non-Magic User?

- Item-Dependence vs. Natural Ability?

- High Magic games vs. Low Magic Games

There are just too many variables, and as another poster mentioned earlier, half of the "balancing" action that occurs in a game is up to the DM. I could make a campaign where monks rule the day and wizards can't find a single spell to add to their spell-book. That wouldn't mean that wizards were underpowered in the slightest, just that my campaign was tailored against them. Likewise, I could make a campaign where the monk runs into nothing but non-humanoid, gigantic rock creatures with high AC and DR/Silver. Nothing in the monk's aresenal is going to really help in that situation, even if he finds a silver kama to wield. But then watch the party wizard come up with a thousand different ways to nuke these rock creatures, or even possess them and create a diabolical army of rocks.

The characters, as is, are fairly close to each other. Go to the wizards board for powergaming and you'll find threads that usually point to the druid, not the cleric, as the most powerful class, but that's based on number crunching alone. It doesn't take into account any roleplaying, any themes in the campaign, or even item placement. It's based on opening up the book, turning to your favorite page, and equipping yourself with whatever you want, so long as the DM gives you the GP to buy it. Of course you're going to find some unbalanced features.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
dcollins said:
When was the last time you had a group of people all want to be the same anything?

Note that it's quite possible to have several characters of the same class who are, in fact, entirely different (feat choices, skill ranks, and role play all provide plenty of room for customization). I ran a few games like this (i.e., themed games) several years ago.

Thanee

First Post
Psion wasn't on the list, so I voted none instead. ;)

I don't think any of the PHB classes are particulary overpowered. There are a few, which seem a little underpowered (bard and monk mostly, maybe even the rogue), tho.

Bye
Thanee

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Can the four people so far who voted mok please explain your reasoning?

Yes, an explanation would be nice. The only time a monk gets overpowered is if you garnish said monk with both high stats and rocking items. After that, of course they kick lots of butt.

provik

First Post
Clerics and Druids

I will admit, that a well-played cleric or druid both have incredible capabilities to change the threat level of a party, both offensively and defensively.

However, they are both limited by the amount the GM puts into forcing them to play their religious doctrines, either by protecting or balancing nature (druids) or by serving the goals of their deity or religious domains (clerics).

This means that they often have a toe a greater moral line or face extra burdens...

gabrion

First Post
My vote went for Clerics, Druids, and Wizards.

The first two are just obvious and I only threw the wizard in there cause they dominate the game at high levels.

Really though....monk?

Grogtar

First Post
I diddnt vote monk but I know why people did : Book of Exalted Deeds.

Vow of Poverty and the acompanying feats are fantastic for a monk

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I put cleric and rogue. The rogues I've DMed for have become walking fireballs.

Also wizards because of scry+teleport. Any time the DM has to keep your class in mind when designing adventures/altering modules, then there's some unbalancing going on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads