D&D 5E Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

• Keys from the Golden Vault

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • Glory of the Giants

Votes: 81 42.6%
  • The Book of Many Things

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • Phandelver Campaign

Votes: 108 56.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 120 63.2%

But I'm hoping Planescape swap out the adventure for more setting info.
You know they won't. It'll be a really bad adventure too. The Spelljammer one was particularly double-awful because it couldn't even be run "out of the box", you had to go to D&D Beyond and get the free level 1-4 adventure there to run before it lol. Like, what the hell is that? Talking about treating it like a videogame.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Two weeks ago I would have said probably all of them eventually.

Now it's looking very likely that I won't buy any of them. And not just because I won't be buying Hasbro stuff unless there's a major course correction in the company - but because my interest in the overall future direction of D&D has waned. Getting a vibe for all of their future plans tells me that I just probably am not that interested in the direction they're going, and I'm off looking at products from other companies to see what there is to get excited about.

Getting a vibe for all of their future plans tells me that I just probably am not that interested in the direction they're going, and I'm off looking at products from other companies to see what there is to get excited about.
Yeah, it's like, even if they hadn't done this OGL stuff, if we'd just had as much discussion on the direction of 1D&D as we've had, and the same revelations about that, I think I'd be a lot less keen than I was.

I'm still interested in a D&D-type game (i.e. medium-high crunch, tons of character options, level & class), but I'm increasingly feeling "This ain't it". The unimpressive (but also not awful) changes shown in the 1D&D playtest haven't helped.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the main thing that has me less interested in getting more books is that with the changes to OneDnD, any player options that come out in books this year are likely to be out of date as soon as OneDnD comes out if they're something like subclasses.
Not based on the UA playtests: all the Species elements will work the same, as they have since 2020, and the Class bits seem to be compatible.

Caerdwyn

Villager
That... has become a complicated question. Before the insertion of foot-into-mouth in Providence I would have said "Planescape" without hesitation. But now, unless something changes so drastically that I cannot even foresee as possible, "none of the above".

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Not based on the UA playtests: all the Species elements will work the same, as they have since 2020, and the Class bits seem to be compatible.
Class bits are only somewhat compatible unless they haven't structured subclasses the same across the board. Even with what we have now, a current bard has 3 levels assigned to subclasses whereas a onednd bard has 4 levels assigned to subclasses, it means if we have a bard subclass pop up in planescape, it isn't going to easily translate to onednd.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That is my concern too. I would be a lot more interested if there were some assurances about what ‘backward comparability’ looks like. I suspect it will mainly apply to adventures.
I think adventures are part of it, another part I think is the old classes running in a onednd game should still work fine but have to use the older subclasses, but since I intend to upgrade to onednd when it releases, any subclasses in these 2023 offerings will be quickly out of date.

Remove ads