D&D 5E Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

• Keys from the Golden Vault

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • Glory of the Giants

Votes: 81 42.6%
  • The Book of Many Things

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • Phandelver Campaign

Votes: 108 56.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 120 63.2%

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There are lots of ways you could houserule it. But haven't some from WotC means a standard set that everyone knows. Of course, if it's like the ship combat rules, then the official rules suck.

How many preparation points do you get? Is it based on class, level, gold expenditure or some sort of pre-heist quest completion? Are they individual, or a shared pool? Can I use preparation points in non-heist situations? Some serious game development skill needs to be applied in order to get a good well balanced generally applicable system. The idea on it's own isn't enough.
So you start with 4 plot points. As the adventure progresses you have more opportunities to gain more and spend plot points. After every major day or night scene, the party gains 1 plot point. If they bungle something, they get 2 plot points. You use plot points to set up complications and change routines or the actions of a group or enemy.

The preparation phase has six scenes (three days, each with a day and an evening scene), which involves recruiting factions, performing reconnaissance, and procuring necessary items, etc.

Routines are things the DM sets up. The adventure recommends using adventure cards to organize routines. The players spend plot points to assign routines to enemy and company cards.

You also get a contingency plan token that can be spent if something goes wrong.

I haven't thoroughly read the adventure and the plot, routine, and contingency rules are kinda spread throughout the text. But I can see pulling out the mechanical bits and homebrewing a good caper/heist subsystem for 5e with it. Thanks to @Ruin Explorer for the recommendation!

Maybe Phandelver and Planescape, dependent on content. I really feel let down by Spelljammer. If we get a Planescape release as bereft of real content as Spelljammer was, I honestly will just give up on WotC setting releases for the foreseeable future.

I would love to get "Book of Many Things" if it had been what the game needs most: A gear/Treasure book with crafting rules. But that doesnt look to be the case.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I sympathize with the statement below this. A lot of people use dndbeyond for their characters and, sure, you can create custom things, but it would be nice to not to have to.....edit: because the items aren't in beyond.
100%.

But given that there's no incentive for WotC to use their limited manhours to make D&D Beyond more friendly to homebrew (and thus non-WotC) content, it's not a situation that's likely to ever get better.

(And, to be fair to WotC, there are a lot of WotC things they still need to incorporate into D&D Beyond. For all of the talk about how Sidekicks could be used as an introductory class, there's currently no way to build one in the system, more than two years after Tasha's was released. And whatever list they had of stuff to accomplish was likely tossed out and replaced with a new list after the WotC purchase.)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
100%.

But given that there's no incentive for WotC to use their limited manhours to make D&D Beyond more friendly to homebrew (and thus non-WotC) content, it's not a situation that's likely to ever get better.

(And, to be fair to WotC, there are a lot of WotC things they still need to incorporate into D&D Beyond. For all of the talk about how Sidekicks could be used as an introductory class, there's currently no way to build one in the system, more than two years after Tasha's was released. And whatever list they had of stuff to accomplish was likely tossed out and replaced with a new list after the WotC purchase.)
I get both sides of this coin for sure......which is why some people want more items/ magic / whatever from WotC.

I find it not too hard to make custom things.....but I get the frustration with it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I get both sides of this coin for sure......which is why some people want more items/ magic / whatever from WotC.

I find it not too hard to make custom things.....but I get the frustration with it.
If Demiplane makes it easier to add custom content than D&D Beyond does, it's going to take a real bite out of DDB. (Not kill it, but it will take out a chunk of the subscriber base.)

G

Guest 7034872

Planescape, but only if they don't screw it up. (Spelljammer was disappointing.)

Remove ads