D&D 5E Which homebrew/UA might you allow?

ruy343

Explorer
Howdy all,

I'm pretty much a perma-DM, and my group is always asking for other character options besides those in the book. Since I'm not trying to run AL-legal games in any sense, and since my players tend to be more mature than most, I see no reason why I wouldn't provide them with more options, with the known caveat that we'll discuss player classes after sessions, and adapt their power level if needed.

So, fellow forumites, which homebrew/UA classes, subclasses, races, etc. have you encountered that you'd allow at your table?

Note: I already allow the UA revised ranger (with a slight tweak on the natural explorer feature), so don't worry about that :)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
One of my players swapped out their ranger to the new UA revised ranger. Pretty much any content I'll allow as a means to try it out. Some of them though seemed a little confusing in the mechanics but otherwise there aren't really any restrictions.

Croesus

Adventurer
My group used a couple backgrounds and the favored soul class (pre-SCAG). More recently, we've used the starter spells and new warlock invocations.

Pretty much everything in UA needs to be reviewed and sometimes modified based on play, but so far we haven't used anything that was really out of whack. So long as your players are fine with modifying things if problems crop up, you shouldn't be too worried about allowing UA material.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My group used a couple backgrounds and the favored soul class (pre-SCAG). More recently, we've used the starter spells and new warlock cantrips.

Pretty much everything in UA needs to be reviewed and sometimes modified based on play, but so far we haven't used anything that was really out of whack. So long as your players are fine with modifying things if problems crop up, you shouldn't be too worried about allowing UA material.

That's something I didn't think to mention. Always best to say to your players, you can use this, however it might change in the future either with an official release (or UA rerelease) or just from play testing within the group. I said this to my ranger player, he was cool with it.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Howdy all,

I'm pretty much a perma-DM, and my group is always asking for other character options besides those in the book. Since I'm not trying to run AL-legal games in any sense, and since my players tend to be more mature than most, I see no reason why I wouldn't provide them with more options, with the known caveat that we'll discuss player classes after sessions, and adapt their power level if needed.

So, fellow forumites, which homebrew/UA classes, subclasses, races, etc. have you encountered that you'd allow at your table?

Note: I already allow the UA revised ranger (with a slight tweak on the natural explorer feature), so don't worry about that :)

I consider pretty much everything published, including 3rd party and enthusiast internet stuff, you name it. The stuff I/we like gets incorporated into our rules, sometimes modified.

DaveDash

Explorer
My group used a couple backgrounds and the favored soul class (pre-SCAG). More recently, we've used the starter spells and new warlock invocations.

We too are also using the pre-SCAG Favored Soul in our games. Coupled with some levels of Paladin, she's pretty good.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I allow all UA material in my games. It's play-test material, essentially, and you can't test it if you don't play it. That said, my players don't keep an eye out for the UA articles like I do so they don't really ask, though I keep my eyes out for stuff I think they might like and point it out to them. A good example of that would be our dwarf cleric who took the life domain when he made his character but now that the forge domain is out there would probably want to switch.

As for 3rd party material from other publishers or off of the DM's Guild, I ask that I get a chance to review it first since I'm much less likely to be familiar with it than UA. Again, I have to mention that my players haven't really gone looking for anything outside of the core books so this hasn't come up yet.

Shiroiken

Legend
In my last campaign, I really didn't allow anything. With my current campaign, I've told the players that if there is interest in anything to let me know, and I'd review it. I've already approved a conquest paladin, with the caveat that it will change to the official version in XGE (assuming it's in there).

Remove ads