D&D 5E Which Is Better: Regular or Alternate Cover Art For Theros?

Here's a look at the full art pieces for the covers of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. The first is the regular, and the second is the alternate cover. Which is better?

Which is better?

• Regular

Votes: 90 54.9%
  • Alternate

Votes: 74 45.1%

Here's a look at the full art pieces for the covers of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. The first is the regular, and the second is the alternate cover. Which is better?

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.22.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.22.32 PM.png

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
Artistically I find both hard to parse. Maybe they look better in print? Very busy and without a lot of contrast in the figures to set things more apart. Hard to get a sense of scale in the first one but it is promising (though the figures feel a little weightless).

The alternate one would make a killer van paint for sure but... why are the gods fighting a hydra with glowing eyes? I guess it makes sense if you play Magic?

JeffB

Legend
I like them both- a lot.

Yes, I said that about a modern WOTC piece of art. I like them both a lot.

I voted alternate- the weird Blue shading/astral look on the regular cover's Hydra just seems a bit off and clashes hard with the very light background. If the Hydra was colored normally- I'd have a tougher time choosing.

The Alternate cover strikes me as something Gloranthan-like.

whimsychris123

Adventurer
The alternate cover for Eberron was a no brainer for me. It evoked the setting far more than the regular cover. But with this one I like regular more. The alternate cover seems kinda weird.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads