D&D 5E Which Is Better: Regular or Alternate Cover Art For Theros?

Which is better?

• Regular

Votes: 90 54.9%
  • Alternate

Votes: 74 45.1%

Here's a look at the full art pieces for the covers of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. The first is the regular, and the second is the alternate cover. Which is better?

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.22.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.22.32 PM.png

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I voted alt, though I'm waffling a bit now. The regular cover is, however, the first one I can remember where the text at the bottom is really hard to read.

dave2008

Legend
I like both covers, actually. If hard pressed, I'd pick the regular cover. Hoever, it only wins by a milimeter.
I had a similar thought. I actually like the image of the alternate cover better, but I prefer the art style in the original cover - so that is the one I picked.

dave2008

Legend
That would be fine, but he's facing away from the hydra and throwing his spear at nothing.
Just somewhere off to his left
He's getting ready to torque his body to add the rotation momentum to his throw (not as effective in the air though) ;)

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I like the regular art 10 times more than the alt... basically like all the previous books. The regular cover look gorgeous to me, very consistent with the other covers in terms of style, and somehow it delivers me an appropriate "mythic feel". The alternate cover seems to me to have very weird inappropriate colors, and the left side with the deities posing for the photo is very boring.

He's getting ready to torque is body to add the rotation momentum to his throw (not as effective in the air though) ;)
If you look at the illustration carefully, the hydra is drawn with exaggerated perspective, one of it's heads is a lot closer to the viewpoint. The hero could be aiming directly at the side of that head, but without scale reference points it's impossible to tell.

dave2008

Legend
If you look at the illustration carefully, the hydra is drawn with exaggerated perspective, one of it's heads is a lot closer to the viewpoint. The hero could be aiming directly at the side of that head, but without scale reference points it's impossible to tell.
It actually looks like his looking right that head. So that makes sense. They flying spear man didn't bother me when I first glanced at it, and it doesn't bother me now that I have "looked" at it.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
The background on the alt cover is too saturated in color. Details are lost.
The first one doesn't drive me crazy either, but the book cover has the image cropped too tight for the actual cover.
I don't know what's happening over at WotC but they're really missing the mark for covers lately.
Wildemount looks terrible and cartoony.
Eberron was not good at all.
Hopefully it's just a phase.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases