D&D 2E Which is the better fantasy rpg and why: D&D 5e or Pathfinder 2e?

Tony Vargas

Legend
No one. I mean, by definition we always want to improve something, right? But what does that even mean?
A potentially existential question. ;)

What if improving something means ... cutting away at it? Fewer options? Or what if improving something means making it more accessible to larger numbers of people (aka, dumbing it down).
What if it means making something simpler and more accessible to a larger number of people, that can handle more options?

You're thinking in terms of re-arranging an old technology with an ingrained set of assumptions. Are there trade-offs between accessibility/simplicity/playability on the one hand, and breadth & depth of player options & genre/setting coverage on the other, in a list-based (we could say '1st gen') TTRPG like traditional D&D? Sure! But there are other types of RPG designs.

TLDR; yeah, things can always improve. But what counts as improvement for you, and for me, and for Hasbro's bottom line are different things.
It can certainly be true that a much better thing may not be a profitable thing. For instance, for a much of the 80s, the most profitable drug out there was Zantac, it was used to manage chronic ulcers, in the face of mounting evidence that peptic ulcers were caused by bacteria and could be cured with antibiotics. Curing ulcers is better than indefinitely controlling the symptoms, but less profitable.

So, yeah, better products are not always more profitable ones. One of the little conundrums of market economics.

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Furthermore, I'm fairly sure both 5e D&D and Pathfinder 2e are real... At least, I thought I hadn't imagined them.
What if I told you...
Matrix-Morpheus.jpg

Tony Vargas

Legend
But more often than not, truly great design is cutting away options. Anyone can design something with tons of options that no one uses; it's much harder to make things simple.
No, it's very easy to make things simple - by taking away options. The challenge is simplification without taking away options.

You can find some of that even in the history of D&D. Read the thread about 'Streamlining' 3e. As bloated as 3e got, it initially did use fewer mechanical sub-systems to deliver more options. In the TSR era, you could be a Fighter/Cleric/Magic-user, but only evenly-advancing and only as a half-elf. In 3e, using a system, if anything, less complicated, you could be a Fighter/Cleric/Magic-user of any race and in whatever proportion suited you (though with consequences in complexity & advancement if you weren't careful). In 5e, while it's optional, the same kind of MCing provides the same sorts of options, with even a bit less complexity, thanks to getting rid of the favored class and XP penalty rules. Fewer rules, more options.

And, really, that's kinda a pitiful example, because it's 25-40 years to make a few simple improvements.

Well, that's certainly true (see also, planned obsolescence). But you also have to look at the consumer side of things; we don't have perfectly rational consumers.
No, we don't. But, again, that's not a reason to give up and accept that things can never get better.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Disagree. Most options aren't needed. You just think you need them.
So, you want a game that does the fantasy genre, for instance. Do you 'not need options' for warrior-heroes, magic-wielders, monsters? There's quite a diversity of each (though less so the middle one) in the source material. You need the options to model the genre. You don't necessarily need mountains of mechanics for each option, but in D&D (especially for that middle one), it tends that way - and, yes, the system could do without the mountains of mechanics while still presenting the options. That's the kind of paring away that'd achieve design elegance.

And, of course, who is to say you even need a class system. Just give abilities a la carte. But that goes into other design and market issues- they want to be able to sell "D&D" and it won't be D&D without classes.
Oh, it could be, it's a matter of acceptance of 'what is D&D?' That could change. It'd require the established fanbase to be open-minded and tolerant, though.

It's not a question of giving up; as I keep trying to tell you, it's just a recognition that different people value different things.
I feel its the other way 'round: if you've given up on making things better, you've given up on that recognition, and decided there's one common denominator that'll have to do for everyone (or just plain exclude some of 'em).

I'd given up on 2e years before, so maybe they miraculously fixed all the problems they'd initially kept from 1e, and introduced in complete & 'option' series books. Or, more likely, we just have very different assessments of that edition.

If you didn't even look at the options stuff, I think your opinion of 2E as getting worse and worse is a bit unfair. We may well have different assessments, but mine is based on a vastly more complete picture, because, much to my own surprise, we kept playing it.

2E was on a steady upswing since about 1994, and it pretty much kept getting better, with some swings into slightly silly territory or bad in the odd individual book. The initial setup of 2E was, I can admit, somewhat unpromising, yes carrying over a lot of 1E's flaws (though also ditching a lot), and a lot of the early material was a mixture of genius (Taladas, FRA), and godawful (I'm not going to start that fight).

We actually all had abandoned 2E by about 1993 (Dark Sun notwithstanding) for a while, because other RPGs were more interesting, particularly Earthdawn, which seemed like an attempt to solve more or less every major flaw in D&D, took over (we also played WoD stuff alongside D&D/ED/etc). But then Planescape happened, and then Combat & Tactics and so on, and D&D managed to get us playing again, and importantly, to stay fun, stay interesting. You got totally amazing things as well, like the spell and magic item compendiums, which compiled and revised (to a limited extent) essentially every single spell/magic item from 1E and 2E, which I can tell you, was a crazy amount of naughty word.

I'd say most of the worst stuff in 2E happened, again, fairly early on, and that was largely a wacky overabundance of settings and setting material and so on.

So I can't fit the "got too much stuff and exploded so it had to be rebooted" model to that.

It's not entirely wrong, but it does ignore the pernicious effects that bloat had on the Tier 2-5 classes and other existing options - including, perhaps ironically, occasionally elevating them a bit, but you missed out on it if you didn't keep up with the latest.
FWIW.

Sure, but it wasn't just the T1 stuff being bad - it was that the early sourcebooks had most of the most "broken" Feats and PRCs. You talk about bloat, but whilst it elevated casters a bit further, they generally weren't taking stuff from the later books if they were looking to be powerful.

That's a plus or a strike against it, relative to PF2, depending on whether you want an adequate system more than fear a bloated one.

I definitely don't fear bloat. Honestly 30 years of TT RPGs and I have yet to see a game I ran or played in ruined by bloat other than Rifts, because virtually all games are designed in a sufficiently modular way. Most games that have problems, start with those problems, or acquire them very early on.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yeah, that's a shallow aesthetic philosophy, that appeals to a certain mindset. It's not a fact, nor is it the be-all and end-all of design. Minimalism has it's place, but this is not that place, and deeply condescending statements like:

Most options aren't needed. You just think you need them.

Should be treated only one way - with a dismissive eye-roll and a sigh. Arguing against needless complexity is one thing. It's been a common problem in the history of RPGs. Arguing that other people are too dim to know whether they want complexity, however, is, um, not great.

"You think you want it, but you don't."
J. Allen Brack

Actually it turned out they did.

Hero System stands as a strong example. You can create anything in Hero, using, say, the 4th ed 'BBB' or HSR - a single book, at release, that you can in any edition of D&D, or RuneQuest, or any other setting or game you can think of - complete with system artifacts, like armor deflecting attacks rather than reducing damage, if you really want to - it's complex, it's not perfectly balanced (though much better-balanced than any edition of D&D, that's just stepping over a bar buried deep under ground), it's decidedly susceptible to system mastery, but it's quite robust, playable, and can handle content expansion without adding (or 'breaking,' if you prefer) rules.
It also never sold very well, because, well, once you have that core system, you don't need much else.

Oh Tony, I'm so sorry. Hero System didn't fail to sell well because "you didn't need much else". Plenty of games like that sold well. Hero System failed because it reduced anything you tried to play in it to totally flavourless mush.

The main thing is was utterly terrible at was superheroes. Yeah, I went there. It was totally awful at superheroes. It turned these mythical, exciting beings in giant bags of numbers, where everything had to precisely, elaborately and tediously quantified using a system far better suited to a quasi-realist SWAT vs Terrorists-type game than anything else.

And whatever you tried to play with it, and we tried plenty of different things, because we had the pig-headed idea for a year or two that universal systems were where it was all going, where it had to go, it felt exactly the same - like some weirdly precise, slow, detailed, and fundamentally uninteresting system that was totally failing to match up to the fantasy it was supposed to be matching up with. You had to work SO hard and it still felt like something that wasn't the superhero genre.

Marvel FASERIP was a hundred times the "supers" game Hero/Champions was (GURPS was arguably even worse at supers, I'll give you that). Every fantasy system that I played was a better fantasy system than Hero. It was kind of okay at some kinds of sci-fi, I guess?

Hero really just finished off the whole idea of "you only need one system" for my group. We thought GURPS just had issues and wasn't properly designed for some stuff, and that Hero would fix it but nah, it proved, hard-proved that the system profoundly influences how a game feels, and can really alter how you interact with it. It murdered the idea that you can play any setting with any system and have a good result.

That is the end of my Hero system rant. Ooof.

Dude, at enworld that doesn't count as a flex. That's the equivalent of saying, "I don't want to brag about my education, but not only did I graduate from kindergarten, I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express."

You can't throw a stone around here without hitting a few hundred people that have 3000 hours of experience DMing ....in the 1970s. ;)

:unsure: Except that D&D 5e didn't exist in the 1970s...

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't really agree and I feel like you're being facetious! Shocking I know! :)

2E was in a great place, I would argue, in 1999, mechanically. You had tons of options and they were presented well in a modular way. Some of it was silly but it was easy to pick and choose.

Whereas 3E was a mess from year one, thanks to linear Fighters and PRCs and trap feats and monkey grip and fullblades and so on. All the worst, most broken PRCs and combos, especially the practical ones were all in by what, year three? Before 3.5E even, I think. Later books for 3.XE were often far less broken than the early books! To me that's a hard disprove on what you're saying, because they kept 3.XE going after having broken it almost immediately.

4E was also different as you imply. It had PR problems far bigger than mechanical problems and the um, patches WotC kept putting out fixed most major or common mechanical problems. It also didn't collapse from new additions.

Offhand I can't think of any RPGs except Rifts which definitely match what you're describing.

Pretty sure the real reason we get edition resets is partly to update the aesthetics and mechanics and so on, but more importantly to re-sell us stuff like this was a new version of the Sims.

Early 2E was quite good IMHO. First 4 class books and tome of magic.

Remove ads