D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Introduce, yes, do justice to no.
They don’t need to “do them justice”, though. There are dozens of books for them.

They could even do a companion book of art and lore; and easily do them justice there.

But mystara will never get 5e publication by itself. I could see dropping DL so it can have its own book, but the thing is, nothing that is in such a book is barred from also getting its own book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They don’t need to “do them justice”, though. There are dozens of books for them.

They could even do a companion book of art and lore; and easily do them justice there.

But mystara will never get 5e publication by itself. I could see dropping DL so it can have its own book, but the thing is, nothing that is in such a book is barred from also getting its own book.

Mystarra has already been detailed in an official licensed product: the Goodman Games 5E Isle of Dread includes a 5E Known World Gazeeter.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Mystarra has already been detailed in an official licensed product: the Goodman Games 5E Isle of Dread includes a 5E Known World Gazeeter.
I’m not too worried about that. Even if we want to consider licensed products the same as official support (I can’t even get that on DDB, the “official digital toolset”), there’s no reason not to give a brief summary of such a world in a guide to multiverse. Could even mention the Goodman Games adventure as a source for more info on the world in a sidebar.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’m not too worried about that. Even if we want to consider licensed products the same as official support (I can’t even get that on DDB, the “official digital toolset”), there’s no reason not to give a brief summary of such a world in a guide to multiverse. Could even mention the Goodman Games adventure as a source for more info on the world in a sidebar.

It is notable that Ghosts of Saltmarsh calls out Mystarra specifically, and in retrospect reading their 5E spin on Isle of Dread Goodman Games seems to have been in the loop about GoS coming. Just saying, never say never.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Calling the three pages they have on Mystara in there a "gazeeter" seems generous.

Well, in one hand, yes, on the other hand, that's the most attention Mystarra has received in a D&D book in 25 years. Who knows, maybe eventually there will be 5 whole pages...?

And, to be fair, what is there is enough to build a campaign with, especially using the Ghosts of Saltmarsh material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is interesting to note that on the DMsGuild, under the Settings tab, Ravnica and "Planeshift" are two separate options. The latter currently only has the older articles and a free adventure module for Ixalan. However, if they did a full "Planeshift" setting book all about Planewalkers across the Magic multiverse, and opened up all the Planes involved for development on the Guild...that could be crazy.

I just read through the Art of Magic Innistrad book. A cool, evocative setting with a real story to tell...but, not a big one. I could see WotC fleshing out the Magic worlds to fill a whole book each, but they would have to create a lot, and I mean a lot, of material.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
It is interesting to note that on the DMsGuild, under the Settings tab, Ravnica and "Planeshift" are two separate options. The latter currently only has the older articles and a free adventure module for Ixalan. However, if they did a full "Planeshift" setting book all about Planewalkers across the Magic multiverse, and opened up all the Planes involved for development on the Guild...that could be crazy.

I just read through the Art of Magic Innistrad book. A cool, evocative setting with a real story to tell...but, not a big one. I could see WotV fleshing out the Magic worlds to fill a whole book each, but they would have to create a lot, and I mean a lot, of material.

Exactly, they'd have to fill in tons and tons of blanks if they gave them all their own books, this way they are regions in a larger setting.

Kamikawa is interesting, but it is like a one-shot story. It is better to start from zero to add a little brother to Kara-Tur.

Innistrad has got a great potential to be the rival of Ravenloft. The demiplane of the dread now is too small to be a "Jurassic Park" for monsters from Hammer films.

My bet is for Kaladesh because is arcanepunk, and this means vehicles, and theses can be sold by Hasbro as toys. One of my April's fool jokes was telling there would be published as comic a crossover between Kaladesh and Transformers.

Remove ads