D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

jasper

Rotten DM
Um... Why?
Too many settings to keep up with and it smacks of fanboy /cross marketing. I quit reading comics in the 80s due to the Marvel Crossover/CrossMarketing story lines. Inferno was the worst. If you were not around at the time, Marvel had an Epic storyline with character changes. But to find why some things change you had to buy ALL the summer editions of ALL Marvel titles. Why is Peter Parker sporting a new outfit? Go to Muppets Dancing with Spiderman which was only available in dentist offices or by direct mail.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
If it has the same dynamic as Barovia, and plays with all the same themes, there is no point in including it.

On the other hand, if it plays with (but doesn’t simply repeat the same take on) the same themes, but doesn’t have the same “trapped by the mists and forced to play a role in the reliving on this jerk’s sad story” dynamic, it’s worth exploring.

As Remathilis mentioned above, Emrakul's arrival in Innistrad has shifted that setting to be include more Lovecraftian elements instead of solely being Gothic Horror.

And even if Innistrad became a Domain of Dread, it wouldn't repeat the same dynamic as Strahd's, because Emrakul is a gross elder god thing, while Strahd was once a man.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As Remathilis mentioned above, Emrakul's arrival in Innistrad has shifted that setting to be include more Lovecraftian elements instead of solely being Gothic Horror.

And even if Innistrad became a Domain of Dread, it wouldn't repeat the same dynamic as Strahd's, because Emrakul is a gross elder god thing, while Strahd was once a man.

But the broader point is, they might make Innistrad a D&D setting, but they are not going to combine two settings from different IP like that.

Urriak Uruk

But the broader point is, they might make Innistrad a D&D setting, but they are not going to combine two settings from different IP like that.

I'll agree it's pretty unlikely. I don't know why this idea is somehow outside the bound of what is possible though, especially when it would barely change the underlying premise of both.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'll agree it's pretty unlikely. I don't know why this idea is somehow outside the bound of what is possible though, especially when it would barely change the underlying premise of both.

Outside the bounds of what is possible, no, but outside the bounds of good business practice for an IP-centered company.

Urriak Uruk

Outside the bounds of what is possible, no, but outside the bounds of good business practice for an IP-centered company.

One could make the argument that greater integration of IPs would lead to crossover purchases between different brands, boosting sales.

Kind of like how people were introduced to Fire Emblem through Smash Bros.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One could make the argument that greater integration of IPs would lead to crossover purchases between different brands, boosting sales.

Kind of like how people were introduced to Fire Emblem through Smash Bros.

One could, but the Magic and D&D teams are pretty cautious about mixing the streams to begin with. And there is no more reason to mish-mash two of their most popular-yet-distinct sup-IPs here than there is to smash Dominaria together with Greyhawk,, Mystarra and the FR to create one simpler High Fantasy setting. they share a broad geenre, not much else.

Urriak Uruk

One could, but the Magic and D&D teams are pretty cautious about mixing the streams to begin with. And there is no more reason to mish-mash two of their most popular-yet-distinct sup-IPs here than there is to smash Dominaria together with Greyhawk,, Mystarra and the FR to create one simpler High Fantasy setting. they share a broad geenre, not much else.

All I've suggested is making Innistrad a Domain of Dread, which honestly could be thrown in as a blurb in an Innistrad book without changing anything at all about the setting. It's just a nice flavor thing that ties Innistrad closer to D&D settings, without actually changing anything important.

That's a hell of a lot different than making a combined Dominaria/Greyhawk/Mystara/FR setting. Crawford has already said that Magic settings all exist on the Prime Material Plane in D&D cosmology. All I'm suggesting is moving one of them, Innistrad, into Ravenloft (a move from the Prime Material to the Shadowfel), as Innistrad has a lot more in common with the Domains of Dread than settings on the Prime Material Plane.

EDIT: Removed the insult, that was uncalled for.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think you're starting to be deliberately obtuse here, as all I've suggested is making Innistrad a Domain of Dread, which honestly could be thrown in as a blurb in an Innistrad book without changing anything at all about the setting. It's just a nice flavor thing that ties Innistrad closer to D&D settings, without actually changing anything important.

That's a hell of a lot different than making a combined Dominaria/Greyhawk/Mystara/FR setting. Crawford has already said that Magic settings all exist on the Prime Material Plane in D&D cosmology. All I'm suggesting is moving one of them, Innistrad, into Ravenloft (a move from the Prime Material to the Shadowfel), as Innistrad has a lot more in common with the Domains of Dread than settings on the Prime Material Plane.

Well, a note in a side-bar maybe, but I wouldn't bet on them even lamp-shading the similarities that much.

Innistrad is a prime material world, is the thing. It is overwhelmed by ghouls and monsters, but it is not a mystical pocket dimension like Ravenloft. It's a normal world, with people leading mundane lives, but with more vampires and Inquisitions.

I see as possible characters from Innistrad being abducted and sent to a new dark domain in the demiplane of the dread.

Do you know what is fun? A new oriental setting, not Kamikawa nor Kara-tur.... and created by Perfect World Enternaiment, the Chinese company with tittles "Newerwinter Online", Star Treck Online, Remmant: from the ashes, Torchlights. They could recycle a lot of ideas from previous games to create a new mash-up. It would be something like a OA by and for Asians.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases