D&D 5E Which MTG Setting would you want as an official D&D Setting?

What MTG Plane would you like to have an official D&D Setting Book?

• Amonkhet

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Dominaria

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Eldraine

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Ikoria

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Innistrad

• Ixalan

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Kaladesh

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Kaldheim

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Tarkir

• Zendikar

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Some other MTG Plane

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No more MTG settings!

Votes: 22 23.9%

I genuinely don't see why people want Eldraine. It's... it's like Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, and Mother Goose made a setting. It's so close to camp you have to walk around the tent stakes.

It's also not a particularly well-liked set looking back because it's power level was way too high and disruptive. The absolute last thing I would want to do is spend time in that setting after enduring what Standard has been while it's been legal.

I'd be okay with Kaldheim, Khans (not Dragons) of Tarkir, original Amonkhet, or original Innistrad.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I genuinely don't see why people want Eldraine. It's... it's like Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, and Mother Goose made a setting. It's so close to camp you have to walk around the tent stakes.

It's also not a particularly well-liked set looking back because it's power level was way too high and disruptive. The absolute last thing I would want to do is spend time in that setting after enduring what Standard has been while it's been legal.

I'd be okay with Kaldheim, Khans (not Dragons) of Tarkir, original Amonkhet, or original Innistrad.
Make up your mind, do you see why people want Eldraine or not? :p

My understanding is that it is not Eldraine that is overpowered, but the previous Standard that was underpowered, and Eldraine is the new normal...at least that's WotC story. The Kaldheim cards play nice with Eldraine, at any rate (MMmmmm, Dwarf Tribal).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I genuinely don't see why people want Eldraine. It's... it's like Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, and Mother Goose made a setting. It's so close to camp you have to walk around the tent stakes

Dude where have you been - Once upon a time, in a land Far far away is the most enduring settings ever created!
How? Zen diktat is a perfect fit for a dnd setting.

Um...no? Kaiju are a perfect opportunity to get creative with monster rules where an epic monster is also terrain, and is essentially its own moving lair.

Eldrazi are an opportunity to explore “monsters” that cannot just be fought, and must be entrapped, subjected to ritual magic to bind and diminish them, etc.

But it’s not like you can’t have a game in Zendikar wherein you avoid Eldrazi and try to find the artifacts to imprison or banish them, or just a small scale game where you don’t ever deal with them except as soemthing to run and hide from.

Yeah I suppose it is a preference issue - while I can see how the ruins exploring of Zendikar could work as something similar to visiting the City of Spiders, I just dont want Eldritch Lovecraftian Horror to dominate my DnD fantasy setting.

And while I agree that developing rules to address Kaiju ”Monster zones” would be cool, that doesnt mean an entire setting needs to be built around those rules.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
if we must have more I want tarkir lots of things I think are cool and some really big dragons to slay sounds like a fun one to me and I could cut it up for useful stuff.

Make up your mind, do you see why people want Eldraine or not? :p

Oh I would believe some people absolutely want a campy setting. I just don't think WotC would ever publish one. Gamma World and Spelljammer are both arguably campy, and I think that's why they're fairly divisive.

My understanding is that it is not Eldraine that is overpowered, but the previous Standard that was underpowered, and Eldraine is the new normal...at least that's WotC story. The Kaldheim cards play nice with Eldraine, at any rate (MMmmmm, Dwarf Tribal).
That was the official line when the sets came out, yeah. But Standard hasn't really been underpowered, it's just that they pushed rares and mythics so hard that commons were stone unplayable. I don't think they've repeated the F.I.R.E. line since Oko, Uro, and Omnath. There have been more Standard bannings in the last ~20 months than there have been in the previous 20+ years. That's a garbage fire. It might sell a lot of cards, but it's short sighted and damaging to the game because it makes people quit. Kaldheim and it looks like Strixhaven are both lower power than the previous 5-6 sets, and the only complaint I remember is people wanting Eldraine to rotate out of Standard faster when Kaldheim released.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dude where have you been - Once upon a time, in a land Far far away is the most enduring settings ever created!

Yeah I suppose it is a preference issue - while I can see how the ruins exploring of Zendikar could work as something similar to visiting the City of Spiders, I just dont want Eldritch Lovecraftian Horror ti dominate my DnD fantasy setting.
I’m more there for the insane wilderness landscapes and megafauna and such, but yeah Eldrazi worshipping cults, whose members turn slowly into abberations, leading eventually to quests to find rituals to bind and diminish their masters, is a pretty good campaign premise. Not for everyone, but definitely something that can work very well.
And while I agree that developing rules to address Kaiju ”Monster zones” would be cool, that doesnt mean an entire setting needs to be built around those rules.
I mean, okay, but that in turn doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be fun to have such a setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh I would believe some people absolutely want a campy setting. I just don't think WotC would ever publish one. Gamma World and Spelljammer are both arguably campy, and I think that's why they're fairly divisive.
On the other hand, WotC did release Eldraine itself as a Magic Setting, and Gamma World just a decade ago, and constantly tease more Spelljammer.

Chris Perkins plus Eldraine makes a lot of sense to me.

Remove ads