D&D 5E Which of dice is the most special? Why?

Nutation

Explorer
My most special definitely has to be my translucent d20 that's damn near impossible to read, and actually only goes from 1-10. It's useless, deceptive, and I love it.
I have many twenty-sided dice numbered 0-9 twice as in the old days, mostly bought from Gamescience. I am much happier with them as d10s, being true Platonic solids, than with handling the geometric abominations that are currently fashionable as d10s.
People will occasionally grab one of my icosohedra and roll it as a d20. They are generally disappointed with the result.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The only die I actually consider special is the rhombic dodecahedron. I don't own any, but that's a die I would want to have. They're a very distinctive shape, and yet have the same number of faces as a regular d12. (Would actually make a d144 really easy to do, too--no need for adding 0s to one of the d12s, just declare the pentagonal dodecahedron is the "twelves" digit and the rhombic is the ones digit.) d12s are also really nice because you can easily convert them into d2, d3, d4, and d6, AND the rhombic dodecahedron has the bonus of actually tiling space, like the cube.

You could quite easily reduce a super-comprehensive set of polyhedral dice to just, say, ten each of d8, d10, pentagonal d12, rhombic d12, and d20. (Heck, you could even cut out the d10s and just roll d20s and halve the value, just like with the d12->d6 conversion.)

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
12 sided

Because I like to watch the confusion on peoples faces when they think they just rolled a 20 sided.
Answering my own question, but I got some special 12-siders. They have pips instead of numbers: two each of 1-6.

Rolling damage for a fireball with "8d12" made my DM do a double-size double-take. Good times.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
There was never any method to my dice collecting madness. I just saw something I liked and bought it. It then was dumped unceremoniously into my dice bag.

I did tend to use the same dice repeatedly...the ones that seemed to roll well, but I'm sure it was selective bias.

I'm talking in past tense because I haven't rolled a physical dice in about 2 years, as my group went completely virtual starting with Covid.

Remove ads