Which one doesn't suck?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
MythosaAkira said:
Another vote for Morrowind.

I would say "just wandering around and killing stuff" is more attributable to Dungeon Siege, though it's fun. Terrible editor, though (last time I checked, at least).

Well, dungeon siege is "wander through the tightly scripted path, killing things"

Morrowind is "wander wherever the hell you want, killing things, and don't be surprised if you meet stuff you have no hope in hell of defeating - be prepared to run away".

The only problem with morrowind in my opinion is that character power is far too variable - since I explored a lot when I played it, I ended up finding the main plotline a total pushover, and combat generally far too easy. The game started out great (with me having to pick and choose fights, and stick to effective tactics), but my character rapidly outpaced everything in it.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Saeviomagy said:
The only problem with morrowind in my opinion is that character power is far too variable - since I explored a lot when I played it, I ended up finding the main plotline a total pushover, and combat generally far too easy. The game started out great (with me having to pick and choose fights, and stick to effective tactics), but my character rapidly outpaced everything in it.
Funny, my Dungeon Siege character also rapidly outpaced everything. I didn't take on any party members, though, so all the xp went to one guy.

Ace

Adventurer
I don't know antything about Black Mirrow

Of the other two I would recomend Dungeon Siege -- Morrow Wind is really really slow and I found most of the time its wander about and kill a borring monster or something --

I also prefer the diablo style interface on Dungeon Siege to the first person (adjustable to 3rd) in Morrowind YMMV

One thing to add Morrow Wind is much bigger and there is a lot to explore so in terms of play hours I suspect its a better buy than Dungeon Siege

Krafen

First Post
Dungeon Seige is almost entirely hack & slash. You follow the road that leads from your farm to the king's castle killing everything in your path. There are a few NPCs who give you minor quests or send you on down the path or sell you items. It does look pretty good, but I grew bored fairly quickly.

Morrowind defines the non-linear game. You may design your race, class and class abilities from scratch. You can go virtually anywhere from the very beginning. You may not survive, but you can try. You can design and create your own magic items and spells. The graphics are a bit dated, but the game was designed to be modded and many graphic-update mods are available. There are also mods available that add new quests and areas to the game. I strongly prefer Morrowind. If you do buy it, make sure to get the version that includes the two expansion packs (Tribunal & Bloodmoon).

I've never played Black Mirror, so I don't have an opinion there.

Maraxle

First Post
Morrowind is boring as hell. I played Daggerfall to death, but couldn't get into Morrowind. I played for about 15 minutes before I decided that it was just more of the same. I'd save my money and adopt a cat or something.

Kax Tuglebend

First Post
Maraxle said:
Morrowind is boring as hell. I played Daggerfall to death, but couldn't get into Morrowind. I played for about 15 minutes before I decided that it was just more of the same.

erm, how exactly were you expecting it to be different, it being a sequal and all..? to the unititated that could sound a wee bit like "i loved Fellowship of the Ring, but The Two Towers was just about loads of elves and orcs and things" :uhoh:

Maraxle

First Post
Kax Tuglebend said:
erm, how exactly were you expecting it to be different, it being a sequal and all..? to the unititated that could sound a wee bit like "i loved Fellowship of the Ring, but The Two Towers was just about loads of elves and orcs and things" :uhoh:
Jeez, I don't know... maybe some improvements of some sort. OK, so the graphics were better. BFD. I thought maybe they'd get rid of some of the fedex quests, and add in something with more flavor. Or expand on some of the fun parts of Daggerfall, like lycanthropy or the various weird places you could find hidden on the map.

To me, Morrowind felt like they just prettied up Daggerfall and gave no thought to improving any of its weaknesses.

Maraxle

First Post
Kax Tuglebend said:
And by the way, your analogy sucks. It would be more like if The Two Towers had the same exact storyline as FotR, but added some pretty illustrations.

reddist

First Post
I've played and enjoyed them both. Dungeon Seige is much like Diablo II on steriods. Same style of play, same obsessive-compulsive drive to find the next cool item, etc... but you get NPCs, pack animals, better graphics, etc. If you like the Diablo games, you'll love DS.

Morrowind is one of those games I keep going back to when I have nothing else to play. There are TONS of side quests, and if you get into them they can keep you going for months and months. There are also lots of little nuggets with no link to any quests at all. True, I get bored with it and move on to something else for a while, but I seem to always come back to it. DS I uninstalled once I finished it.

I'd be interested in some of the "improved graphics" mods for MW. That might spark my interest in playing again.

-Reddist

Remove ads