D&D General Which Previous Edition (poll; read OP)

Which previous edition

• OD&D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • B/X

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • BECMI

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • AD&D1E

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • AD&D2E

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • 3.0 D&D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 3.5 D&D (inc. PF1E)

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • 4E pre Essentials

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • 4E Essentials

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • None: I wouldn't play a previous edition campaign

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Other: I'm a special snowflake

Votes: 8 4.3%

Retreater

Legend
I would be curious to know, if she entered the hobby with 5E, why she thinks 4E. Is she just assuming the most recent is the most possible? Does she have any experience with 4E? Is she aware of the... shall we say "controversial" nature of the edition?
Sure. So she came into the hobby in 5e, basically being brought in to a neighbor's game through their mutual love of Critical Role.
We started dating and she learned that I've been into D&D for decades, and I talked her into playing a series of one-shot adventures of "D&D Through the Ages," including 2E, PF1 (since I didn't have my original 3.x books), and finally 4E.
She loved 4E, after trying it as a "dead system." Her response was "why aren't people still playing this? This is better than 5e."
I told her the history and controversy. She doesn't care about tradition, only that it's a good time for her: lots of action, lots of teamwork, dynamic play, etc.
When we go to gaming conventions like Origins, the first thing she seeks out is 4E games. We've tried finding 4E games online, and about three years got into a Fantasy Grounds group until the DM quit.
I've tried running 4E games in-person, but we just don't have the local players to keep one going. And 4E isn't really well supported on any VTT.
But yes, any day of the week she'd play 4E. Her second-favorite system (and currently available one) is PF2 - which she'd also love to play if I could get a group that would want to do it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Sure. So she came into the hobby in 5e, basically being brought in to a neighbor's game through their mutual love of Critical Role.
We started dating and she learned that I've been into D&D for decades, and I talked her into playing a series of one-shot adventures of "D&D Through the Ages," including 2E, PF1 (since I didn't have my original 3.x books), and finally 4E.
She loved 4E, after trying it as a "dead system." Her response was "why aren't people still playing this? This is better than 5e."
I told her the history and controversy. She doesn't care about tradition, only that it's a good time for her: lots of action, lots of teamwork, dynamic play, etc.
When we go to gaming conventions like Origins, the first thing she seeks out is 4E games. We've tried finding 4E games online, and about three years got into a Fantasy Grounds group until the DM quit.
I've tried running 4E games in-person, but we just don't have the local players to keep one going. And 4E isn't really well supported on any VTT.
But yes, any day of the week she'd play 4E. Her second-favorite system (and currently available one) is PF2 - which she'd also love to play if I could get a group that would want to do it.
Im much more of a strategic player, than a tactical one, but I'd love to take another shake at PF2 (with Proficiency without level and free archetype variants). I do appreciate the design, even if its not exactly the experience I'm looking for.

Retreater

Legend
Im much more of a strategic player, than a tactical one, but I'd love to take another shake at PF2 (with Proficiency without level and free archetype variants). I do appreciate the design, even if its not exactly the experience I'm looking for.
Say the word, and I'll throw it together for you.

Reynard

Legend
That's super cool.

Remove ads