• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Published Settings Have You Played In?

NiTessine

Explorer
Let's see... keeping only to AD&D and D&D settings published by TSR and WotC, lest my list swell and bloat like a balloon...

Forgotten Realms. For a long time, my default D&D setting. Played and ran innumerable games here.
Greyhawk. I was involved with the Living Greyhawk campaign for many years, and still haven't abandoned our region of Naerie.
Eberron. Something that we dabbled with during the 3E era and still occasionally do.

Spelljammer I only got to run, and a single session at that. I dearly love the weirdness of it, though.
Planescape was another setting that I never got to experience except as a DM, but I have run more than one campaign of it. I'll be revisiting the planes, one day.

Never got to play or run Birthright, though there was one campaign we had in the planning stages that then fell apart. Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Al-Qadim or Mystara I never got to play. I've collected books here and there, though, and game outlines in various stages of planning for all of them except Mystara. I'll be going there yet.

Boregar

First Post
Again, only for D&D, my list would be :-

Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms
Dragonlance
Dark Sun
Ravenloft
Spelljammer
Planescape
Mystara
Eberron
Nentir Vale

Played and DMed:
- Forgotten Realms (1e/2e)
- Dragonlance (2e; played in Ansalon, DMed a bit in Taladas)

Played only:
- Kara-Tur (1e/2e)
- Dark Sun (2e)
- Eberron (4e)

DMed only:
- Birthright (2e)
- Points of Light/Nentir Vale (4e; added lots of homebrew stuff)

Owned but never played or DMed:
- Greyhawk (2e)
- Spelljammer (2e)

Voadam

Legend
Played and DM'd:
Greyhawk
FR
Ravenloft
Dragonlance
Dark Sun
Oathbound

Played:
Planescape
Spelljammer
Eberron
Kara Tur
Golarion
Palladium FRPG's World
WFRPG's World
WoW world
Scarred Lands

DMd:
Dragonlance Taladas
Freeport
Twin Crowns

I own but have not played or DM'd a ton more.

Last edited:

Lord Zack

Explorer
I've briefly DM'd Forgotten Realms and Eberron and played in Living Forgotten Realms, but aside from that my campaigns have been in homebrew worlds.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Here's a question - Where does the assumption that people only stick to one campaign setting come from?

If you spend time organizing conventions (small or large), reading forums, and/or just playing at cons you might see the large number of players interested in organized play as a "trend to stick to one particular campaign". But, appearances can be deceiving. :-D

I personally can see the appeal of doing both. Organized play does a great job of facilitating regular public shared play. You can have your regular home campaign and then run/play OP stuff when out at regular game days or conventions. I imagine there are piles of people doing just that.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Here's a question - Where does the assumption that people only stick to one campaign setting come from?

I suspect that's a bit of a myth. Some folks do. Some folks experiment around before settling on a world. Some folks play a lot of different settings. Some make up their own.

Just different game styles, is all.

Steel_Wind

Legend
In terms of established settings for FRPGs

I ’ve played:

• Wilderlands of High Fantasy
  • Blackmoor
  • Greyhawk
  • Forgotten Realms
  • Spelljammer (briefly and only under protest – I hated Spelljammer)
  • Dark Sun
  • Harn
  • Bladelands
  • Kulthea (Rolemaster)
  • Shadow World
  • Mystara
  • Golarion

Established Settings I’ve run:

• Wilderlands of High Fantasy/City State IO and City State WE (every edition ever published)

• Greyhawk
  • Al-Qadim
  • DragonLance
  • Cerilia (Birthright)
  • Middle Earth (ICE)
  • Forgotten Realms
  • Golarion

And played and run a whole host of homebrewed worlds, which frankly, are certainly far more numerous than the above list.

I have never played or run (and will not play or run):

• Planescape or
  • Eberron

As both of these settings are too non-standard for my tastes.

If I had to choose a favourite? Wilderlands or Golarion – though I really did enjoy Birthright/Cerilia as a great Tolkienesque setting with a clear and compelling twist.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads