• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which race WILL you be playing?

Which race will you be playing first?

• Halfling

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Human

Votes: 60 19.4%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • Elf

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Eldrain

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 43 13.9%
  • Rawr! (DM)

Votes: 104 33.5%

lutecius

Explorer
If I give 4e a try, that would be eladrin, even if they didn't have feystep. I just like the fluff.
I like that they're not short anymore and the elf/eladrin separation is the best change to races in my opinion even though i don't care much for the made-up name (and what's an El Drain? some spanish plumber's nickname?)

Oni said:
I love tieflings, but they new art for them has turned me off so much it has quelched my desire (yes I know I can make them look however I like, but because of the new artwork that's the image that is always going to spring to mind) :(
same here. But i'm surprised even half-elves are doing better in this poll though. Where has all the half-elf hate gone?
And what surprises me even more is that there are so many people out there into tail-less "scalies"

Shado

Explorer
Half-elf has been my favored race since 1st. Ed., and I have high anticipation their return as a real racial choice.

Andor

First Post
I want to check out the Tiefling. I always liked them in planescape and I happy to see them getting their charisma bonus back. :D

Victim

First Post
TerraDave said:
Maybe people wanted dragonborn all along and just didn't know it?

Dragonborn also seem to have racial features and bonuses that work well for Pallies and warlords (and fighters to a lesser extent). They're stat mods and power give them boosted offense - and people generally find offense more attractive than defensive abilities.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe people wanted dragonborn all along and just didn't know it?

Its not that for me- I'd just want to try something different, and I've enjoyed playing "monster" race PCs in the past.

However, even though I like to play all kinds of races, my current group is pretty conservative- typically, if a race isn't in the PHB, you can't play it as a PC.

Gnomes aren't in the PHB, so that option is denied me.

OTOH, Dragonborn are, and they're as close to a monster race as I'm going to find, so...Dragonborn it is!

Even though I feel they've been forced upon us, I'm still going to give them a stab. Its not their fault, after all, and I'm not one to hold a grudge.

djdaidouji

First Post
I like Dragonborn. It seems to be the only race bigger then a human. I mean, sure, a dwarf is thicker, but the human stands taller. Are tiefling bigger then a human as well, I wonder. (As in bonuses to Str or Con)

Aaron L

Hero
Human Fighter, with a glaive, dabbling in either Warlock or Warlord, and making some use of Ritual Magic. Now, my SECOND character is going to be an Eladrin, but not until the Bladesinger paragon path comes out.

Family

First Post
I wondering who will make the best rogue.

I understnad the common sence behind it, but still find it odd that race comes before class in the PHB, when most poeple choose class first.

Oh and...bump.

Jim Williams

First Post
Wik said:
Every new edition, my first character is a half-elf. It has been this way since 2nd edition came out. It'll remain so.

Some traditions just need to upheld.

Great tradition!

My first AD&D character was a half-elf cleric, doomed to obscurity by time and a multitude of characters.

My first D&D character was a human cleric that died an ignominious death to giant rats, I believe, in the Caves of Chaos...good times...

On Topic
I DM far more often than I play and this edition will be no different.

All of the character races are so interesting. For the first time I feel each race offered brings something to the table. I would probably be tempted to play either a human or a half-elf.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads