• Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • Starter Set

Votes: 88 50.0%
  • Essentials Kit

Votes: 67 38.1%

Mercurius

Legend
I'm sure it is deliberate. WotC has a history of overreaction. They see something not working, so they go too far in the other direction. Bounded accuracy was good, but they over bounded it. 3e was too unbalanced and feats too swingy, so they over tightened the math and made feats virtually meaningless in 4e. 3e and 4e put out too many products, so they overreacted with the 5e release rate.

But the good thing is that they can always increase the release rate; it is harder to dial it back once people get used to a certain amount. Honestly, it sounds like you simply want more product. I want plenty of things--Earthsea and Malazan setting books, for instance, or deluxe legacy setting box sets once a year--but don't necessarily conflate that with what would be good for the company.

As for the rules stuff, I actually agree with some of it. Bounded Accuracy to +7 or +8 seems about right to me. Feats vary. I don't like hitching them to ability score increases. I'd rather have them be a separate addition every 4 levels or so.

Rikka66

Adventurer
Core books, the entire stretch from Volo's to Dragon Heist, Ebberon, the Starter Set and Essentials Kit, and I intend on picking up Theros. I picked up the Core + Starter Set at the end of 2015, went hard from end of 2016 to end of 2018, and have lightened up since.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
52.3% is my dividing line. At the time I answered I owned every product above it, no products below it, and exactly half (1 of 2) of the products at 52.3% (67 votes).

teitan

Legend
Of those listed I have 17 of them. I also have Stranger Things, Rick & Morty, the Avernus dice set, several sets of monster cards, Tal'dorei, AIME Player's Guide and Loremaster's Guide. The DM Screen, the D&D battle mat, City Tiles, Wilderness tiles, & dungeon tiles.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But the good thing is that they can always increase the release rate; it is harder to dial it back once people get used to a certain amount. Honestly, it sounds like you simply want more product. I want plenty of things--Earthsea and Malazan setting books, for instance, or deluxe legacy setting box sets once a year--but don't necessarily conflate that with what would be good for the company.

As for the rules stuff, I actually agree with some of it. Bounded Accuracy to +7 or +8 seems about right to me. Feats vary. I don't like hitching them to ability score increases. I'd rather have them be a separate addition every 4 levels or so.
I agree that it's better to start low and raise higher. It causes more hard feelings when you scale something back. That's good business. However, I think WotC is gun shy after blowing out 3e and 4e with products and having those editions fail with that as one of the major reasons.

Yes I want more crunchy product, but I'm not unreasonable with what the rate I think things should be at. I don't want anything near the rates of 3e and 4e and I think the current rate is too slow, and will ultimately hurt 5e.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The only physical book on the list I don't own (or have on order) is the Acquisitions Inc one. The core concept of that book is hugely unappealing to me.
Yeah, I agree. I bought it, and probably won't use most of the information in it. I have used the Verdan race and some of the vehicles/items, but it's overall not that useful to me.

Retreater

Legend
That book was hugely unappealing to me as well. I looked at it in the store and put it back down fairly quickly.
Yeah. I agree. It's like a self parody of D&D.
Strangely, I typically don't like comedy mixing with my nerdom and sci-fi. Can't read Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett and don't listen to They Might Be Giants, for example. I guess it's just a bad reaction to growing up in the American Bible Belt during the Satanic Panic and having to defend my interests against ridicule and bullies making fun of me.

Remove ads