• Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • Starter Set

Votes: 88 50.0%
  • Essentials Kit

Votes: 67 38.1%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah. I agree. It's like a self parody of D&D.
Strangely, I typically don't like comedy mixing with my nerdom and sci-fi. Can't read Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett and don't listen to They Might Be Giants, for example. I guess it's just a bad reaction to growing up in the American Bible Belt during the Satanic Panic and having to defend my interests against ridicule and bullies making fun of me.
I love both Adams and Pratchett. I even like playing parody games, when that's what I'm signing up to play. D&D isn't such a game for me. There was a game I played many years ago called It Came From the Late Late show, where you played B actors inside a B movie. The game even gave you points for being appropriately stupid. i.e. "I heard something outside. You guys stay here and I'll pick up this fireplace poker and go take a look."

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I also love both Pratchett and Adams and I also very much like Acquisitions Inc. However, why I like it is not because I want to run a full satire game all the time (at all), although I have run it and was a hoot. The book actually has some very cool mechanics in it, and is a wonderful source of idea for downtime and henchmen, as well as about Adventurer's Guilds generally. I find it pretty easy to strip off the parody when I need to.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I also love both Pratchett and Adams and I also very much like Acquisitions Inc. However, why I like it is not because I want to run a full satire game all the time (at all), although I have run it and was a hoot. The book actually has some very cool mechanics in it, and is a wonderful source of idea for downtime and henchmen, as well as about Adventurer's Guilds generally. I find it pretty easy to strip off the parody when I need to.
That's the main reason why I like it. Though I will admit, the thought of running some sort of DnD parody does at times sound appealing.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
I wasn't unhappy with Acquisitions Inc. once I bought it. There are some good things in the book including some NPCs written up in the back. If I hadn't found it for half price, I probably wouldn't have bought it even though it would have been the only 5e book I didn't have.

I have a visceral dislike for D&D games that try to be funny.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I have a visceral dislike for D&D games that try to be funny.

I love Pratchett and Adams, but I don't make any effort to make the settings or the events funny in my games. Wisecracking and suchlike doesn't bother me.

My own strongest distaste is for games that aim at "funny" and hit "silly."

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I'm one of those chumps that owns everything twice - once in physical, once in DDB.

I also have the second copies of the core rule books bc special edition covers.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
DDB is not the tool of chumps.
Oh, I was being facetious. A lot of people have called us chumps for paying twice, and insist that DDB should be included in the price of the book or heavily discounted or something versus the books.

I like having the easy reference tool online (so much better than D&D Insiders' toolset last edition!) but I also love the feel of the physical books and they excite me. I mostly buy the special edition covers for that reason.

Sorry for my poor-mannered words.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases