D&D General Which standard classes have you never (or very rarely) seen played? (Edited)

Which standard classes have you never (or very rarely) seen played?

• Barbarian

• Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

• Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

• Ranger

• Rogue

• Sorcerer

• Warlock

• Warlord

• Wizard

• I have seen all of them in play

Results are only viewable after voting.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I can’t say there are any of these classes I haven’t seen with some regularity (obviously it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a Warlord, but I saw quite a few of them in the one edition they existed in.

Zardnaar

Legend
Never saw a warlord when we played 4E. Other rare ones.

Monk. Until 5E only saw one or 2 in 3E.

Sorcerer
Almost unplayed in 3E

Barbarians
Semi rare, singular in my group, new players seem to like them.

ccs

41st lv DM
I have never seen a 4e warlord played in 5e.

Now if you'd like to discuss the editions in general & wich PHB1 classes I've seen the least....
That'd be pretty close to a tie between the 1e Illusionist, the 1e Monk, & the 1e Assassin.
The Illusionist because most I've ever gamed with thought it inferior to the Magi User (what you'd call a Wizard)
The Monk because people thought it a bit weak & DMs said No - it doesn't fit the campaign.
Assassins because "No Evil PCs" has a long history.

For 5e? I've seen them all. Though the Sorcerer is by far the least common.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’ve played a Monk but as DM have come up empty handed,
Bards dont seem to strike a chord with my players either
the poor Fighter has been beaten back by Rogues, Barbarians, Paladins and Rangers

delph

Explorer
I'v seen played barbarian just as part multiclass, Paladin too. Warlock isn't in 5e... but I have only 3 campaigns behind me.

Ashrym

Legend
Yes, although because the 4e Ranger was a non-spellcasting class and there is no option for a non-spellcasting Ranger in 5e, you could arguably count that as well.

4e was a bit of an anomaly for the ranger in that regard.

I just make a fighter with the outlander background and use feats to support the style. The concept doesn't really need the ranger name attached to it, IME.

Although, E:RftLW offers things like the mark of finding to improve the design. Hunter's mark is technically a spell using the mark but it's a very limited spell option on a fighter chassis.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1Ed: personally played all except Bard, and never saw it played by anyone else.

2Ed: personally played them all, including the psionic ones.

3.XEd: played all the core classes from the prior editions, plus a few of the explosion of classes- Psychic Warrior, Soulknife, Marshal, Sohei, Wu-Jen, Duskblade, Beguiler, Scout, Battle Sorcerer, etc. Really had fun with the prestige classes, too- one of my favorite PCs was a Geomancer. Hands down my favorite edition of the game because the wide variety of classes and the liberalized multiclassing rules let me design a wider variety of characters than ever. Didn’t get a chance to try any of the Incarnum or Tome of Magic classes; ToB didn’t appeal at all.

4Ed: only had a single campaign in this edition- I played a Warlock MCed with Psion. The rest of the guys in the group stayed pretty mainstream: wizards, rangers, clerics, and the like.

5Ed: haven’t touched it.

Last edited:

Remove ads