• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which stat for init?

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I can see Wisdom working, it would suit the old monk phenotype. Since perception is already a Wisdom thing, it makes sense.

On the other hand, Intelligence also makes sense. When I think of rogue's acting quickly, it's because they're cunning.

So how about.. it depends on the situation. If both parties are aware, it's dexterity. If you're surprising someone, it's intelligence. If you're surprised, it's wisdom.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In one of my 4E games, the rogue nearly always went first. It kept getting him knocked out/down/out of position until we convinced him to fire a crossbow on his first turn.

I think a neat method would be to have everyone roll for initiative as in 3E/4E and then assign which PC goes in which spot.

We've done this a few times in Pathfinder and it works very well. The low Dex fighter usually gets to go first or second and actually move into the front ranks! It makes for a more fun fight.

Remove ads