D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

The Glen

Legend
Actually sounds pretty fun when it's written like that. Feels like Jack Vance fantasy.
EckxIKjWoAcjacK.jpg

Whilst amusing, that does kind of demonstrate the problem with Mystara, which is that an awful lot of the places in it are basically nonhuman race + human culture (not always even a particularly historical culture - some of them are quite recent/extant), which can not only seem kind of lazy, but it can also seem kind of inappropriate/dehumanizing. It's obviously not the intention, but the optics at the very least, are not great.

And whilst there is some explanation for this, the basic setup doesn't really allow it to have much in the way of worldbuilding or depth, just a lot of variety and stuff that often borders on "LOL so random!". It's got more in common with Spelljammer, as a result, than, say, the Forgotten Realms (there's some similarity to Planescape too but not really, because it doesn't have the same kind of central conceit to work things around).

It's certainly very redolent of a certain era of RPGs, but perhaps not entirely in a good way. I think we've seen "kitchen-sink" fantasy done an awful lot of times now, and whilst I have a certain fondness for Mystara, I don't think it has much to say in, y'know, 2021, let alone 2022 or later.

glass

(he, him)
I am reasonably confident that they will not do classic setting in strict order of popularity. Both because it would make them predictable, and because someone mentioned upthread it leads to severely-diminishing returns. Therefore, I do not find the "Tiers" are peruasive.

OTOH, I do not really have anything else solid to base my guesses on, so they are kinda finger-in-the-air. Although I do think Greyhawk is the most likely for 2024, hence not voting for it for 2022-23.

EDIT: I was forgetting about the latest Unearthed Arcana, which strongly implies Spelljammer is one of the three.

BTW, is "Ghostlight" a typo for "Ghostwalk"? Also, not that I think it is likely, but Channath Chanak should probably be on the list too.

_
glass.

Last edited:

Remove ads