D&D 5E Which three topics do you most want to receive official (WotC) treatment?

Which three do you most want to receive official WotC treatment?

• Dark Sun

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • Eberron - More Khorvaire (be it setting stuff and/or story arcs)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Eberron - Beyond Khorvaire (Xendrik, Sarlona, etc)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Exandria - more (WotC treatement of Tal'Dorei, other lands, story arcs, etc)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Forgotten Realms - Campaign Setting book

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • FR: Faerun regional book (any - list preference below)

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • FR: Beyond Faerun - old lands (Maztica, Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, etc)

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • FR: Beyond Faerun - new lands (Anchorome, Osse, Katashaka, etc)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Greyhawk (anything - world, city, castle, etc)

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • Magic the Gathering settings (any)

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Mystara

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Nentir Vale (and/or "Nerath World")

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Planescape/Manual of the Planes (Sigil and Outlands, Great Wheel, and/or World Tree variant, etc)

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 35 19.2%
  • Lost Settings - any (Birthright, Blackmoor, Jakandor, Coucil of Wyrms, Ghostwalk, etc)

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • New Settings - any (whether something completely different, licensed settings, etc)

Votes: 30 16.5%
  • Asian adventures (Rokugan, Kara-Tur, or other)

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • Deities & Demigods (epic monsters, heroes, demigods, gods, etc)

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Epic handbook (be it 16-20th, or 21st and beyond)

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Psionics

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • Other optional rules - any (e.g. Incarnum, kingdom-building, tactical combat modules, etc)

Votes: 57 31.3%

ChaosOS

Legend
So probably most of us here know this, but Eberron was the winner of a Setting Design contest ages ago, IIRC back when Dragon was a print Magazine.

But they actually retained the option to the top THREE results.

One of which (again IIRC) was the work of Rich Burlew creator of OotS.

So, I'd really like both of those settings to finally see the light of day as published products.

Not sure if you're aware, but Rich has publicly commented that he sees zero point in publishing his submission. Not only was it only a 100 page draft as opposed to a full setting, but according to him all the good bits were scavenged over the course of the 3.5 product line. It's possible the other setting wasn't touched, but I suspect it befell a similar fate.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Not sure if you're aware, but Rich has publicly commented that he sees zero point in publishing his submission. Not only was it only a 100 page draft as opposed to a full setting, but according to him all the good bits were scavenged over the course of the 3.5 product line. It's possible the other setting wasn't touched, but I suspect it befell a similar fate.
I was sort of vaguely aware, but I still think that a fully polished version would be a thing worth having. Even if all the bits were pillaged and had the serial numbers filed off, putting them all back together in the original package seems like it would be interesting.

To me, at least, far more interesting than a return to the same 4 square miles of Faerun.

[Note: Only dumping on doing the same area of Faerun over and over. I would LOVE to see all the other bits of Aber-Toril, including which ever one is the moon/sister planet? I forget is that Aber or Toril? Anyway, the point is NOT Sword Coast, NOT Neverwinter, etc.]

Voadam

Legend
I would be absolutely down with most things on that list, old settings, MtG settings, new settings, or new rules.

I went with MtG settings because they have cool settings and creatures and magic and flavor that would be great to leverage to add to D&D.

I also went with Psionics because it is always a different system each edition, it is an unfilled niche right now for normal D&D, Dark Sun, and Eberron, and I think a decent job could be done by WotC.

Lastly I went with new optional rules but this is for the incarnum side of things and not for naval or kingdom building or mass warfare. I've played a merchant prince with a fleet and it worked out fantastically narratively but all the rules I've seen for that kind of stuff have generally taken me out of the character and not added well to the game. I love having multiple magic systems in the game (arcane magic of different stripes, divine magics of different stripes, warlock pact magic, Truename, vestige pact magic, psionics, etc.) 3.5 Unearthed Arcana style alt classes could be really cool for redoing the druid and ranger in particular, and I would love a warlord class and other options.

Stormonu

Legend
Dark Sun - a good place to reintroduce psionics and great non-Medieval take on the world
SpellJammer - could be combined with Planescape, but I love traveling adventures to exotic locales, outer space, planes or otherwise.
Birthright - a way to reintroduce rules for strongholds and empire building. Just for God's sake, change the names of things to that which doesn't sheer your brain in half trying to pronounce them.

Clothes. Particularly cloaks. I want a full book dedicated to mundane clothes. That way when my players ask to buy a cloak I know exactly what cloaks are available, their cost, and weight.
Actually, I think that at least a pamphlet for this would be very useful -- especially if your game includes a lot of subterfuge/role play.

CodeFlayer

Explorer
Curious - what sort of specific things did you have in mind here, as prep can take many forms:

Short-range prep - i.e. coming up with adventures and-or how to tweak the adventure you're about to run?
Immediate prep - i.e. getting tonight's session together?

These, with particular emphasis on combat encounter design. I would go to well regarded encounter designers and ask them to write up what isn't in the books - the tweaks, the foreshadowing, the problem spots for this or that monster type. I would draw in 90%+ of the table, stats, and rules needed to generate and run these so I don't have to swap out books so often(but I am still handling books).

So part I, advanced systems and rules compilation (speed!), and part II, articles from specific designers on what inspire them. It would black and white/minimal art. It would have easy to read page numbers !

Another design goal for this hypothetical book, it would be meant to benefit in helping combat light story lines by expediting the whole process. The benefit for WotC is that the easier to design encounters are (with confidence), the more encounters that will be designed - and run.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases