• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which variant rules do you use, and why?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Just curious about what rules options (for D&D 3.x) people are making use of, from which books - or other sources - and why.

Sources might include Unearthed Arcana, for example. That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

I use a fair few myself, but I'd like to hear of others' preferred borrowed alterations to the official ruleset, and reasons for using them, as well as experiences so far.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
A natural 1 is a critical botch. I use this rule for its hilarity. :D

If you use it, be sure to apply it to monsters and NPCs too.

Laman Stahros

First Post
Let's see, you want the list:

1: Action points (from Unearthed Arcana and Eberron Campaign Setting)
2: Armor as DR (from Unearthed Arcana)
3: Weapon groups (from Unearthed Arcana)
4: Magic rating (from Unearthed Arcana)
5: Reputation (from Unearthed Arcana) [hasn't really had an effect yet]
6: Contacts (from Unearthed Arcana) [hasn't had an effect yet]

As to why:

1: I'm not sure. I just like them.
2: Better represents my experiences with armor in the SCA.
3: It seems to work a liitle better than the base system.
4: I always hated how a character who multiclasses gets screwed over.
5 & 6: I don't know. I just thought I would give it a try.

Overall, I'm just trying to explore the boundaries of the d20 system and find a set of rules that represent my vision of my game world the best.

Voadam

Legend
Spontaneous divine casters from UA. I prefer casters having more personalized spell lists, I dislike them having access to a whole class spell list, adding new divine spells is more balanced, and it quickens player prep for new days in the game.

Classes and variants from various splatbooks and AU.

I almost never call for skill rolls.

Hit points average round up for PCs. I don't want this to be random.

Eliminate preferred class and class skills. I don't like them, I want characters to meet their concepts more easily.

Anything sentient can be affected by mind affecting spells (treants, intelligent undead, etc.). Telepathy should work on all intelligent beings, so should charms that are not restricted by type.

Falling is accelerating damage up to 20d6. 10'=1d6, 20'= 1d6+2d6, 30'=1d6+2d6+3d6, etc.
Makes falling more serious and feels like more versimilitude to me.

I like AU multiclassing spell rules. I'm considering using them for D&D.

Multiclassing saves and BAB advance along good, medium, poor charts instead of starting from beginning for each class (i.e ftr1/brb1 has +3 fort saves). I prefer smoother multiclassing without wierd mathematical deviations from single classed characters.

I'm sure there are others.

I'm tempted to use base reflex save bonus from class as a dex AC enhancement.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
1. Gestalt
2. Armor as DR
3. Weapon Groups
4. Psionics are Different
5. Action Points
6. Lower MDT
7. Fractional Progression
8. Average HP
9. Point Buy

1. I just like better-rounded characters, and allowing characters to have some backup skills without killing their main focus. Also, I miss 1e/2e multiclassing.

2. This has always made more logical sense to me.

3. This just works better-- and when you combine it with using weapon groups for things like Weapon Focus and Improved Critical, it makes Fighters a lot more versatile.

4. Makes them feel a little alien, a little strange-- and actually makes the fact that metapsionics and psionic item creation are seperate feats from metamagic and magic item creation.

5. This lets characters try to do things heroically beyond their normal abilities, and softens the edges of things like spell slots and n/day abilities-- it makes the characters feel a little more organic. I also need to give them somthing to make up for 6.

6. "No, Captain America does not think parachutes are for girls." Gives medium-level characters reason to be worried about town guards, massed fire, and light crossbows. Also makes any combat more exciting, and makes players worry more about defense.

7. Necessary because of #1-- logical because of how multiclassing works. A Cleric 1/Psychic Warrior 1 should not fight worse than a Wizard 2-- and a Barbarian 3/Fighter 3 should not be tougher than a Barbarian 6.

8-9. Randomness only happens during the game-- not before and not after. It still amazes me that people think that rolling for stats and for hit points is a good idea.

Besides... almost noone cheats at die rolls in the game. Almost everyone cheats-- in some fashion-- when rolling stats or hit points. These are also the most tweaked rules in the game, as people keep trying to make random rolls more fair.

Xombie Master

First Post
Characters gain feats every level is the big one
Whoa! How does that work out, I've always wondered if feats granted were a little too limited. Do your players tend to pick a variety of feats or do they just go for full feat trees quicker?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads