• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which variant rules do you use, and why?

Steverooo

First Post
"Tracking: It's More Than Just 'Duh, Dey Went Dattaway!'" Beat the Track DC by so much, and gain additional information about the Trackee. Equal the DC, for instance, and you can determine the type of creature from its tracks, if it is common in the area with which you're familiar.

(This makes tracking more interesting, and allows those with high levels of skill to gain more benefits from it).

Racial Background Skills: (4+INT Bonus) Racial Background Skill Points/15 years of the PC's starting age, chosen from a list dependent upon the PC's race (mainly Crafts, Knowledge skills, Performance styles, and Professions). No more than three ranks in any one skill.

(This makes ALL characters (PCs and NPCs alike) more knowledgable and competent. It is also more plausible, as a 100-year-old Elf will no longer be less knowledgable & competent than a Human Rogue 1/5 his age (What was he doing, all those years?)!)

Cloaks of Elvenkind give no bonus to Hide, but the Camoflage ability, and a skill-use spell similar to the True-Strike combat spell (Roll 1D20, 1-10 = 19, 11-20 = 20), usable at will. This is more like the 1e version. Doesn't work when travelling more than half-speed.

Boots of Elvenkind have the same abilities, applied to Move Silently, instead of Hide.

(This just makes these items more 1e-ish, and Tolkienesque.)

Characters may take "powers", instead of magic items, generally at the same prices (although weapons cost twice as much). Since these items cannot be taken away, they also can never be changed, except for upgrades.

(This allows characters to have magic "items" that can't be removed, and can help to solve the "Golf-Bag full of weapons" problem, if every weapon they wield is magical.)

Deadfalls, Limb-traps, Nets, Pits, and Snares, may be set by Barbarians, Clerics of Travel, Druids, Rangers, and Rogues, with either the Survival or Craft (Trap-making) skill, and without reference to the ridiculous Trap-making rules in the DMG! (The time is MUCH less, and no cost!) This allows the making of any one of the many, many traps in any survival manual that you care to examine.

(Pretty self-explanatory, methinks, and perfectly in line with the Druidic/Rangeric Detect Snares and Pits spell.)

Class levels without a NEW ability allow the adoption of a new Feat for which the PC is otherwise eligible, instead. Generally, an improvement upon an existing ability isn't considered "New". Thus, Druids and Monks get few, while Ranger & Rogues get more, at higher levels. These Feats are from any that the PC has the prerequisites for, not any sub-list.

(This makes leveling up in any class more attractive, and helps prevent dipping into a class for a single level.)

Fighters have access to Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering, Local) as class skills, as do Rogues. Wizards get Decipher Script and Sleight of Hand (Prestidigitation). Sorcerers just get the latter. Fighters also get Profession (Bodyguard, especially). At higher levels, they gain access to Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty). Barbarians, Druids, and Rangers get Balance, so they can walk across ice without slipping and falling, and quit falling off ledges and out of trees! Rangers get languages of Favored Enemies and races/cultures they have encountered, as a Class Skill (1 skill point per language). Other languages are at the usual rate. Rangers are also allowed to use Knowledge checks untrained, and add their Favoured Enemy bonuses, in order to know things about their FEs (For instance, a Ranger with FE:Dragons, with no Knowledge (Arcana), would ordinarily be unable to know its strengths and weaknesses, even though it is his favoured enemy, unless he had purchased ranks cross-class... and even then, he'd be no good at it!)

(This is all for "Plausability", or to fix problems, especially with the PC's role in the party... When the Captain yells "To the Merlons, men! Defend the emnrassures!", the Fighters should know where to run. Rogues, who try to break in and search, should also have this skill, as it is used to detect unsafe areas! Wizards spend lots of time with books, and should have Decipher Script. Wizards and Socerers should be able to do Sleight-of-Hand magic. Fighters get Profession, especially Bodyguard, and later knowledge of Nobles & Royals, as that's who they serve. The "Outdoorsy Classes" all get Balance for the reasons listed. Rangers get languages because A) only Bards currently do, and B) because the bonuses to Listen make little sense if you can't understand what you're hearing. The FE bonuses and untrained Knowledge checks should be obvious!)

I'm sure there are others that I just can't think of, right now...

Last edited:

tetsujin28

First Post
None. In Eberron I use the Eberron variants, but I don't plug those into Forgotten Realms. If I start mutating D&D too much into what I'd really like it to be, I'm better off just grabbing Iron Heroes from my shelf and running that.

moritheil

First Post
Ace said:
My variants

#1 Keen and Improved Critical stack

Why? because it seems fair to me and it allows Critmonsters as a valid PC choice

Yeah. The original issue was that previously any crit could invoke vorpal, so if you got a 14-20 crit range with a vorpal weapon, you were a terror on the field. Now only nat 20s invoke vorpal, so keen/imp crit stacking isn't so unfair.

ForceUser

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
Just curious about what rules options (for D&D 3.x) people are making use of, from which books - or other sources - and why.

Sources might include Unearthed Arcana, for example. That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

I use a fair few myself, but I'd like to hear of others' preferred borrowed alterations to the official ruleset, and reasons for using them, as well as experiences so far.

The WotC variants I use are as follow.

Variant: Turn undead deals 1d6/cleric level positive energy damage instead of its normal effects. Source: Complete Divine. Reason: Ease of play and group synergy. Damage is easier to resolve that fear.

Variant: Various class variants from Unearthed Arcana. Reason: They don't break the game, and they expand a player's options. I use many of the UA options as regional or cultural variants in my homebrew campaign.

Variant: A character that is subject to critical hits is "clobbered" if he takes over half his current hit points in damage in a single attack. A clobbered character may take only a single action on his next turn. Source: Dungeon Master's Guide. Reason: It's cinematic, and makes combat a little deadlier.

I'll add to this list as I remember more.

Staffan

Legend
* Action points. Though as I'm playing in Eberron, that could be considered a standard rule. I also add Cha modifier to the number of AP you get per level, giving Cha a bit more usefulness for classes who don't normally focus on Cha.
* If you're not happy with your hp roll, you can reroll with a die one size smaller (d10->d8 etc.). If you're still not happy, you can keep rerolling with smaller dice until you're rolling a d2 (not much point in rerolling with a d1). Note that you can't reroll and then go back to the first number - if you roll a 3 on your d10 and then a 2 on your d8, well, you still have a pretty good chance of doing better on a d6.
* Power attack gives 1.5 times the attack penalty as damage bonus with a two-handed weapon, and increased to 0.5 times for light weapons.
* Spell Focus and Psionic Endowment provide a +2 bonus to save DC. The greater versions don't exist.
* Increase all tracking DCs by 5. The Track feat is no longer necessary to follow tracks, but it gives a +5 bonus to doing so.
* Allow a slightly modified version of the Unfettered class from Arcana Unearthed.

Those are the main things. There's some other stuff regarding what books are allowed, and some errata-like house rules (e.g. some psionic powers that need fixing), but that's minor stuff.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Our campaign is low-magic, so many of our variant rules are ported from d20 Modern to compensate for the lack of magic goodies.

• Action Points (from UA)
  • Class-based Defense Bonuses (from Green Ronin's Advanced Gamemaster's Guide)
  • Players Roll all the Dice (from UA): with a big group, this makes things go much faster. Also gives them more things to spend action point on
  • Wealth System (from d20 M): Part of the low-magic setting is an attempt to create an authentic medieval feel. So coins and typical D&D loot are kept extremely rare, but with abstract wealth the PCs are still able to prosper in a quantifiable way within the setting.

IronWolf

blank
Xombie Master said:
Whoa! How does that work out, I've always wondered if feats granted were a little too limited. Do your players tend to pick a variety of feats or do they just go for full feat trees quicker?

As a player in Crothian's game it seems to be working really well. It is a lot of fun to be able to play with feats a little more and not have so much pressure along the way.

I play a dwarven cleric in this campaign and he is a bit of "take care of himself" guy and tends to be towards the front of things when things start going wrong. So I took things like Iron Will, Greater Fort, Lightning Reflexes and Improved Toughness.

Ry

Explorer
Halve experience, and a 6th level cap, after which you buy feats with your exp for 5000 a pop. Levels 7-12 "unlockable" through intense training / major character events.

I also don't use any statblocks on the DM's side - I just have an 8'1/2x11' chart of stratified averages from CRs 1 to 20, and a short list of special abilities for monsters I intend to use.

Man-thing

First Post
rycanada said:
I also don't use any statblocks on the DM's side - I just have an 8'1/2x11' chart of stratified averages from CRs 1 to 20, and a short list of special abilities for monsters I intend to use.

I'd love to see that chart.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads