Which version of Star Wars is most Simulationist?

innerdude

Legend
I think Star Wars is pretty neat, but since it started with the movies, I've noticed that a lot of the games include cinematic rules to provide for better storytelling. If I don't want any narrative-control mechanics, and all I care about is accurately modeling how droids and blasters and Force powers work, which version of the game should I pick up?

If you're really interested in accurately modeling this stuff, I'd point you to GURPS. Seriously. You'll have all the "accuracy" you could ever want. Whether it will produce a game you actually LIKE is a different story, but the actual "modeling" will be highly detailed.

And just for background, I've played Saga Edition d20 pretty extensively, and have a decent amount of experience with GURPS. And in no way whatsoever would I call Saga Edition a "simulationist" system. When a min-maxed level 12 Trandoshan can take a full-on rocket blast from an AT-ST, survive it with half hitpoints remaining, and then proceed to take out that AT-ST single-handedly with nothing but a vibroblade.......yeah. Not simulationist in any way. And yes, I watched that exact scenario play out in one of the Saga campaigns I played in.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Saga Edition. I love the whole "talent tree" setup, and I think it's a really nifty use of the d20 mechanic. But it's hardly "simulationist."

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
If you're really interested in accurately modeling this stuff, I'd point you to GURPS. Seriously. You'll have all the "accuracy" you could ever want. Whether it will produce a game you actually LIKE is a different story, but the actual "modeling" will be highly detailed.

Gurps seems like it would be a good option, or possibly Hero System. Either deliver a detailed set of mechanics and have rules for creating robots and modelling weapons.

I am aware of GURPS. I actually went to a meetup for a GURPS Traveller campaign just yesterday. (I'm wait-listed, because there are too many players right now.)

In general, though, I think GURPS falls a bit too hard on the Simulationist end, and could stand to make a few concessions for improved playability. I'm not looking in perfect verisimilitude or anything. I don't mind if someone can take a hit from a rocket and keep on kicking, as long as they do it through good armor and sheer toughness rather than luck or destiny or the hit being not actually a hit.

default_entry

First Post
I would vote for Saga as the most effective while still being simulationist. Gurps seems to bog down under its own weight, so while you may have the most accuracy, you also get the least accomplished.

Remove ads