• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Svanlaug

Villager
Ah, sorry, I misread you then. It wasn't meant to be a serious assessment, just an off the cuff estimation.

I have an AMD FX-8320 eight core processor, 32 GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 3 GB RAM. Approximately 3 GB more is in use when TTS is up as opposed to when it isn't.
Thanks ... this is exactly what confuses me, as your system is juicier than mine, and I have no problems (Intel i5-6500 4-core, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 960 2 GB RAM). I just don't get it.

M.Weasel

Explorer
I switched from Roll20 to Foundry a while back for my 13th Age game, and it's been great. The overall interface is set up much better, a lot of the tools seem to work better, the macro scripting is way more robust, tons of modules you can use to customize your game... Just overall a much nicer, smoother experience. I tried Astral briefly as well before Foundry, but hit too many bugs and questionable interface choices.

M.Weasel

Explorer
I switched from Roll20 to Foundry a while back for my 13th Age game, and it's been great. The overall interface is set up much better, a lot of the tools seem to work better, the macro scripting is way more robust, tons of modules you can use to customize your game... Just overall a much nicer, smoother experience. I tried Astral briefly as well before Foundry, but hit too many bugs and questionable interface choices.

Nebulous

Legend
What is the flat $10 full learning curve of Roll20 compared to Foundry VTT? I found Roll20 extremely difficult to learn, and I still have to check forums for code help and such. I don't know coding and don't want to know it, and so much of Roll20 could be simplified behind the scenes as toggle on and off switches.

But I AM very happy with Roll20. I can tell stories as fast as I did in person. Dynamic lighting works! Darkvision is in greyscale. Initiative rolls everyone automatically highest to lowest. I prefer in person, but what I love to appreciate about VTT are all the aspects I can't ever do in person games.

M.Weasel

Explorer
What is the flat $10 full learning curve of Roll20 compared to Foundry VTT? I found Roll20 extremely difficult to learn, and I still have to check forums for code help and such. I don't know coding and don't want to know it, and so much of Roll20 could be simplified behind the scenes as toggle on and off switches.

But I AM very happy with Roll20. I can tell stories as fast as I did in person. Dynamic lighting works! Darkvision is in greyscale. Initiative rolls everyone automatically highest to lowest. I prefer in person, but what I love to appreciate about VTT are all the aspects I can't ever do in person games.
Not sure what you mean by $10 full learning curve, sorry, but I found Foundry to be very intuitive overall - more so than Roll20. It generally has good UX choices. I introduced some friends to Foundry as well, and I think they had the same feeling about it. Happy to comment on specific aspects if you have some in mind.

One caveat - there are different ways to use Foundry. If you do self-hosting on your PC, or self-hosting on your own server (e.g., an AWS Lightsail instance), there may be more upfront effort. However, there are also Roll20-style somebody-else-hosting-this-for-you options.

Steel_Wind

Legend
After many years of D20PRo, I recently moved to Foundry VTT for PF1 and PF2.

I wish I had all of the bells and whistles the 5e players do in Foundry; still, it's awesome and -- far and away -- is the most technologically advanced of the available VTTs.

Dire Bare

Legend
Just thought I'd post about two new VTTs that I noticed are on Kickstarter right now. Both are funded, and look promising, although I'm not sure what they have to offer versus current VTTs.

Let's Role - 25 days left. This one looks promising, and has dynamic 2D maps. The VTT will be free, and will make money on cosmetics and add-ons (maps, tokens, skins, etc).

Shard Tabletop - 17 days left. This one's got a lot of publisher partners listed, but most of these folks are also on Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 I believe.

And while poking around on Kickstarter, I found another one!

Realm Engine - A 3D VTT that is about a third towards it's goal and ends in 5 days . . . I don't think this one's gonna make it.

This niche is starting to get crowded! It would be nice if ENWorld had a page that listed each of the currently (and soon-to-be) available VTTs and other RPG digital tools.

Does anyone have any experience with a dedicated 3D VTT for role-playing games? I know that at least one is out there, somewhere, I remember seeing it . . . .

Rhenny

Adventurer
I’m using Fantasy Grounds. I like how the msps and pins make it easy to run adventures. The combat tracker works well to handle initiatives and everything looks very polished. I tried roll20 but for some reason it was less responsive on my computer.

I also use FG Unity, but that’s testing the lighting features, which I don’t really like in any VTT. I turn off the feature, personally. Using mask and unmask works fine for my games.

Yes, I’ve spent close to $500 over the past 4 years, but the quality of the content and having the pins for room descriptions, encounters, treasure parcels makes my life DMing so much easier.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well, I had my first game with Atral and it went well with only a few hiccups. There are some elements I feel would improve it, but on the whole it's a breath of fresh air with a shallow learning curve. One of my friends (and fellow DMs) bought Foundry and is going to test it out on his next campaign. Both have integration with D&D Beyond via Beyond 20, which is a major plus.

Remove ads