D&D 5E Which WotC 5E Adventure Makes the Best Sandbox?

Different adventures for different level ranges:

Lower levels: Dragon of Icespire Peak
Mid levels: PotA. The haunted keeps are great is written, but I would probably break up the elemental dungeons into four separate dungeons plus the fane of the eye and elemental nodes as the final dungeon.
High levels: the giant lairs from SKT

Reynard

Legend
I bounced off SKT years ago, but the circumstances of that was pretty specific. I should re-examine as a foundation for a 5E sandbox. I want to leverage the books I have bought -- especially those I have bought for Fantasy Grounds as well -- to create a solid sandbox, player driven, long term campaign.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've probably used Princes of the Apocalypse the most as a mine.

First few levels are fun the NPCs, items and dungeons though are great material to be mined.

Probably wouldn't take to much work to tweak it to make the second half a lot better.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I bounced off SKT years ago, but the circumstances of that was pretty specific. I should re-examine as a foundation for a 5E sandbox. I want to leverage the books I have bought -- especially those I have bought for Fantasy Grounds as well -- to create a solid sandbox, player driven, long term campaign.
I would recommend just reading Chapter 3 and Appendix A to start, ig orange the low Level intro stuff and the high Level Giant Dungeons.

The best sandbox is the Daggerford maps that were commissioned for the 2014 DMG but never published:

Supplemented nicely by the Next playtest adventures "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle" and "Scourge of the Sword Coast".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The best sandbox is the Daggerford maps that were commissioned for the 2014 DMG but never published:

Supplemented nicely by the Next playtest adventures "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle" and "Scourge of the Sword Coast".
Whaaaaaaaaat is the story there???

Remove ads