• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whining & Complaining

Wik

First Post
The only name we pitched was Tomorrow's Hummingbird. Sure, the process we took to get there was a regression from Millenium Falcon (Century Pigeon, Annual Sparrow), but not one of those names was ever proposed to you. We didn't even mention them to you until you summarily shot and killed Tomorrow's Hummingbird.

Btw, one of the reasons we settled on that name was it had a florid poetry that fit with the names of airships in Eberron novels. Additionally, we could contract it to The Hummingbird for use in dialog. We put thought into it, and made sure that it fit the parameters you gave us. Wait, what's that? You never gave us any parameters? EXACTLY. :D

Ha ha, WRONG. I gave exactly one parameter, at the start of the campaign: "I sort of expect this game to be like Firefly, in the Eberron universe". Or something to that effect.

You would never find a ship named "Tomorrow's Hummingbird" in the 'Verse.

And don't pretend you didn't name the ship like that just to get to me. Because we all know it's because I always try to kill everyone's PCs. ;)

Goblyn

Explorer
<snip>

And don't pretend you didn't name the ship like that just to get to me. Because we all know it's because I always try to kill everyone's PCs. ;)

I'm honestly confused here. "Tomorrow's hummingbird" sounds like an excellent ship name to me. Is it a reference to something else or is there something implicit in the name that makes it silly?

I'm not trying to be facetious or anything here. I'd really like to know.

Mallus

Legend
"I sort of expect this game to be like Firefly, in the Eberron universe". Or something to that effect.
Heh... our airship in an old 3e campaign started off as the Serenity... but quickly became the Serenity Now... which was much more fitting.

After taking heavy damage in a battle, it became the Serenity Ow.

I don't know, it could be a name poorly translated from Cantonese.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Our high school group had a habit of naming henchmen and hirelings after basic agricultural products. It was both comic, but also strangely fitting after awhile. In a given campaign, the first warrior mercenary they could afford to put on a retainer was always named "Oats." The first guy they ever hired was named that, and got them out of a lot of scapes.

Inevitabley, there would be a hired cleric at some point named "Barley". They had a link boy named "Wheat" once. "Cotton" usually made an appearance, as did his buddy "Flax". And so on. Because they kept it down to a low roar, it never totally turned the game into a naming farce. We met a beggar named "Turnip" once, but he didn't recur enough to be a problem.

I had to draw the line at the sage "Fescue" though, when they kept going back for more. (I let it happen. And then I had their opponents kill the sage while they were out of town.)

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm honestly confused here. "Tomorrow's hummingbird" sounds like an excellent ship name to me. Is it a reference to something else or is there something implicit in the name that makes it silly?

Is it a sideways reference to the "Millenium Falcon"?

It's a name in the form of [Time Period] [Avian], which it shares with the "Milennium Falcon" of Star Wars.

CuRoi

First Post

I'm perfectly fine with that name in the verse. I quite like it actually. IRW it is the Military boats that tend to have the more "Serious" names. Historical persons or "tough" sounding names.

Private boats on the other hand have a wide variety of names from the completely ridiculous to poignant. I don't see any reason why human nature would change many centuries in the future in another part of the 'verse. Just googling some priavte boat names I came up with Aaargh, Wasabi, Holy Moley, Tomorrow's Sunshine, etc. etc.

BTW - Our ship for our Serenity campaign was named Pandora's Hope. Loved that name. In my last 3.5 campaign the players made extensive use of a boat called Ebon Tide (it was a black ship).

CuRoi

First Post
Our high school group had a habit of naming henchmen and hirelings after basic agricultural products.

Was the RPG club holding session after the FFA meetings? :)

I've always had trouble winging it on names. I could throw together scenarios on the fly but names were tougher. I can't tell you how many "Freds" we had just so I wasn't stammering out some silly collection of vowels and consonants that may or may not be pronouncable.

At one point in an old campaign, the players unexpectedly captured a cleric of Chemosh (god of disease). I went with it and just off the cuff said "for now it's Disease Boy - I'll come up with a better name later". He was never known by anything but Disease Boy after that. Then there was Safety Gnome, whose life quest was to make life saving products for his hapless gnome comrades. Another one I could never introduce a true name for that the players would use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads