D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

Wombat

First Post
When D&D came out, I picked it up ... back in 1975

And a dropped away from D&D when it became "1st edition" AD&D.

Then I came back with 3e

And didn't upgrade to 3.5

By my calculations, I should return to D&D with the 6th edition ;)

Turanil

First Post
So I have read rumors and speculations from a guy who was at gencon and spoke with important people (thread on the wizards boards, I don't know where exactly), that WotC are trying to terminate many of the D&D settings lines, including Greyhawk, so to just have Eberron and FR when 4e is released (as the speculation goes), in 2007.

By that time I will be able to play Savage Worlds and C&C fully; and maybe get a taste of HARP and Warhammer 2. Or maybe my new hobby will be gardening, who knows??? :D

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Turanil said:
So I have read rumors and speculations from a guy who was at gencon and spoke with important people (thread on the wizards boards, I don't know where exactly), that WotC are trying to terminate many of the D&D settings lines, including Greyhawk, so to just have Eberron and FR when 4e is released (as the speculation goes), in 2007.

By that time I will be able to play Savage Worlds and C&C fully; and maybe get a taste of HARP and Warhammer 2. Or maybe my new hobby will be gardening, who knows??? :D

WotC only has Forgotten Realms and Eberron books being produced right now. I guess you could kind of count Dragonlance, even though it's all third party now. I think the other settings will prove tough to kill, given that they're already dead. :D

Aldarc

Legend
that WotC are trying to terminate many of the D&D settings lines, including Greyhawk, so to just have Eberron and FR when 4e is released (as the speculation goes), in 2007.
Yeah, I read a series of interviews in the GenCon reports on the Gaming?.com and you could easily tell that they are trying to distance themselves from Greyhawk. I believe someone asked them if Greyhawk was to continue to be the default setting, and they said not necessarily and they started talking about Eberron. I'm not sure if I am a fan of this. While on the one hand, they can focus on these two settings, they also cut off sales if people are not interested in these settings (like myself).

fusangite

First Post
I'm having a lot of trouble fathoming this thread. Let me get this straight: people are declaring that they will not buy a new game coming out in a few years despite knowing nothing about this new game.

Now, let's suppose we just received that WOTC will be publishing a new fantasy game you don't know anything about in a couple of years. How many of you would line up and announce, without knowing a single thing about it, that you weren't going to buy it?

Basically, what's going on here is that we suspect the world's premier RPG designer will be launching a new D20 fantasy RPG in a couple of years; but because we think they'll call it D&D, we're organizing a boycott.

Does this behaviour make any sense?

As for me, like any other new game, if and when D&D 4 comes out, I think I'll find out if it's a good game and, based on its actual characteristics, decide whether or not to buy it.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
fusangite said:
As for me, like any other new game, if and when D&D 4 comes out, I think I'll find out if it's a good game and, based on its actual characteristics, decide whether or not to buy it.

Why must you always be so damned reasonable?:p

Truly, I'll probably buy the player's handbook. But I've got thousands of dollars invested in the current edition, so unless any new edition that might materialize is completely compatible, I won't be buying more than that. I've already got enough stuff to last me three lifetimes, let alone the this one.:)

Darrin Drader

Explorer
fusangite said:
Basically, what's going on here is that we suspect the world's premier RPG designer will be launching a new D20 fantasy RPG in a couple of years; but because we think they'll call it D&D, we're organizing a boycott.

Does this behaviour make any sense?

I can't believe that of all people, I'm defending the line of reasoning you are condemning. The problem is not that WotC will be releasing a new game. The problem is that so many people have so much invested with 3rd edition that they may not be willing to abandon it because WotC decides to hit the reset button. I think it was an easier sell going from 1E to 2E because the game didn't change so much that the old materials became completely obsolete. 2E to 3E was an easy transition because there was over a decade invested in 2E and everyone was well aware what all of the flaws were in the system. 3E to 4E may be a tougher sell because 3.5 has been out for well under a decade and it works just fine. It's a little top heavy, but combat can still move at a good clip if both the DM and the players are well acquainted with the rules.

Anyway, the question isn't whether or not there should be an organized boycot, but whether people will be willing to upgrade when the time comes.

Remove ads