• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

jokamachi

Explorer
I will most likely stay with 3.5 as I've had it with buying a new book every month. I'll wait until 5e before getting back into the consumer buying craze.

scourger

Explorer
I hope I can quit when 4e releases. But my past behavior indicates that I won't. I loathed 3e from reading Dungeon until I borrowed & read a PHB. Then I ran it weekly to preserve AD&D 2e for my weekend games. Then, I converted the 2e game to 3e rules. Then I got awesome d20 games like Judge Dredd and Omega World. Then I got 3.5. Then I got rid of all my 2e stuff (except my PHB for nostalgia).

Now, I've got Savage Worlds...

So, I'll probably pick up 4e and gradually embrace it to the demise of all others previous--even though I should leave my d20 gaming happily at the 3.0 stage.

The Shaman

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Someone explain this thinking to me:

If WotC puts out a new edition of D&D that you don't like/agree with, you'll leave D&D completely? Even though you don't have to buy it, don't have to play it, don't have to stop playing whatever edition you are currently playing?

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Well, for me it already happened.

I played 3e - I didn't care for many of the core assumptions, nor did I care for many of the player attitudes that seemed to come with the new game, so I moved on to C&C instead, a game that fits more of what I'm looking for in a fantasy RPG.

That doesn't seem to be too hard to wrap a mind around.

Baron Opal

First Post
Sure, I'll still play D&D if a fourth edition comes out. Third edition solved most of the problems that I have with previous editions, and with the release of Grim Tales, Arcana Evolved, Unearthed Arcana and True 20 I can bend and twist the system to handle pretty much any paradigm I want. I can't really imagine what the next quantum step would be for me, but if fourth edition addressed my concerns with D&D to the level of third edition, I would buy it.

I think it more likely that I will take the SRD, the pdf of Arcana Evolved, and the True 20 pdf, slice and splice what I like, and make my own "Players Handbook". I'll run off a dozen copies and give them to my group. And that, barring any particular revelation, will be what we play. If WotC comes out with a fourth edition anytime soon it certainly won't offend me to the point where I stop playing the game I have so much time and effort invested in. I find that silly.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Nikosandros said:
Couldn't you just keep playing 3rd edition?
I could but I think I might be entering into a different phase of my life at that time.

As I said before, when I was young I thought I could play D&D and RPGs forever, but now at 36, I no longer have that level of enthusiasm.

Ranger REG

Explorer
jmucchiello said:
What does this have to do with a D&D 4e? And, how sad that you think 36 is the start of your RPG playing twilight. I'm hoping by my retirement age there are geek-oriented assisted living homes. :)
Because I got jaded by the early release of 3.5e. Just three years after 3.0e and we already have a revision? IMNSHO, that's wrong and entirely inappropriate. We don't have a videogame mentality, waiting on the next version of Diablo or Dungeon Siege. It becomes harder to justify the entertainment value between Pen-n-Paper RPGs to your current MMORPGs.

Also, the early release of 3.5e pretty much screwed up third-party publishers. I don't know if WotC knew that, being the trend leader of the OGL movement. If you get the chance, you should read the Green Ronin Seminar article transcript posted on GamingReport.com.

And lastly, though it is merely my own, I have a strong feeling there will not be a 4e Oriental Adventures.

Aaron L

Hero
It totally depends on if its better. I started on 2E, and switched to 1E after I had played it because I thought it was better. I dont care what is newer, I care what is better. But I doubt that it will be worse, so Ill Probably play it (aauming, of course, that I can find people to play it with) I will definately be trying it out. After it comes out it in SEVERAL years.

Gundark

Explorer
Chainsaw Mage said:
When we heard about "3.5" (God, what a stupid name), a lot of people said, "WTF? They just released 3rd!"

But when "3.5" came out, all the zombies marched out obediently and bought it. WotC could release 4th edition tomorrow and it would be a huge success.

Fools. I hate hive minds. :(

I bought 3.5 because I agreed with the changes that was in it. Not becuase I was a hive mind :\

Melkor

Explorer
I don't mean to sound cliche, but I really do have more than enough 3rd Edition products to keep me busy my entire life without needing to switch to a newer edition. Hell, I haven't even had the time to read half of what I own.

Unfortunately, being a compulsive buyer, I'm sure I will at least purchase the core books for 4th Edition. Doesn't mean I will play.

Best thing about it will be all of the new 4th Edition players who will sell off their 3rd Edition stuff when 4E comes out (and D20 stuff altogether if it's not open) - It will make every trip to the used bookstore like Christmas (which is what it used to be until my 1E/2E and MERP collections were damn near complete).

JustKim

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Just three years after 3.0e and we already have a revision? IMNSHO, that's wrong and entirely inappropriate. We don't have a videogame mentality, waiting on the next version of Diablo or Dungeon Siege.
Wrong and entirely inappropriate, okay. Do you know the typical time between revisions of White Wolf books? Sometimes their editions don't even last three years. Exalted is going to enter its second edition after five years, and the Wood Aspect book only just came out. This happens all across the RPG industry. Maybe you're mad about this particular revision, but don't call it inappropriate because it isn't. It happens all the time. We are spoiled with D&D because the editions typically last so much longer, but if third edition were to be defunct tomorrow it will have been one of the longer-lived systems out there.

Also very sneaky comparison to video games in your post, although completely irrelevant, owing to video games things that are in no way unique to them- much like every other comparison between video games and 3E out there.

I look forward to discussing all of this again in the next 4E thread on wednesday.

Remove ads