D&D 5E Who got their Rime today?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Beating a dead horse, but they also do have sunlight.

If all you have is four hours of twilight per day, you don't have any photosynthesis, so you don't have plants. If you don't have any plants, you don't have any animals.

It's basically Cormac McCarthy's The Road, plus everything is frozen.
I'm thinking about waste management, as none of that poop decomposes. Oh wait, Othyughs. Magical Otyugh's able to eat frozen poopsicles. (yup, dad had to go there 🙃 )

I just got it, but tying together what others have said, I think there’s a coherent narrative here that’s at least easy to imagine, even if it’s not what the authors had in mind. If they did, they certainly could have made it more explicit.

1. Auril wants to be a small god ruling over an isolated domain of endless winter where every sapient being lives or dies at her whim.

I love this and it’s a welcome change from save the world stories.

2. The sacrifices work. Everyone is suffering but your “three snowflake” towns are doing humanoid sacrifice. Those that aren’t are well on their way to dying.

I plan to play this up: people are getting hungry, getting sick and getting on each other’s nerves leading up to the monthly sacrifice, then everyone bounces back and the town enjoys (relatively) good fortune for a few weeks.

3. This also explains why that one guy is working on the towns that are doing humanoid sacrifice and not the ones that aren’t - they’re already going to die with the Frostmaiden withholding her favor.

That’s my take and I’m enjoying the setup so far.

i'm getting the early impressions that this module is just ok and is clearly not challenging the tops spots for best adventures such as strahd and Phandelver. More of a setting with adventures but not a clear start to end process?

Why didn't they go with a more Northern Alaska style approach instead of a frozen hell? I never got the impression in the early Drizzt novels that it was Antartica

Reynard

Legend
i'm getting the early impressions that this module is just ok and is clearly not challenging the tops spots for best adventures such as strahd and Phandelver. More of a setting with adventures but not a clear start to end process?

How would anyone know? It has been out for 2 days.

just by reading this thread and online video reviews. Basically the narrative is lacking, few things such as weather and short memories make no sense. Its just my impression based on history of early reviews.

jasper

Rotten DM
I got on Beyond & my hardcopy. I still wondering about the Temperature. Looking at my Army wind chill chart. -50 (they don't have -49) has danger from exposed flesh. A 5mph still in the danger zone. After that you in great danger. But they have don't nothing with it. The DC is laughable.
I do like the various sacrifices and it is know the three cities which do humanoid ones. I am making a secret of one of the pcs did escape the sacrifice.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
:( (my CoS book did this eventually, after I ran it...twice!)
IMG_0115.jpg

Reynard

Legend
just by reading this thread and online video reviews. Basically the narrative is lacking, few things such as weather and short memories make no sense. Its just my impression based on history of early reviews.
Just a pet peeve of mine but this sort of thing really bothers me. It is a big complex game book that serves as both an adventure and a campaign sourcebook. No one who hasn't run the thing can effectively "review" it as either of those things. The best they can do is summarize it and tell you if they thought it had some cool ideas in it, or not.

Remove ads