D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

Marzion

First Post
D&D 4e Still the best IMO

I really love D&D 4e. I love playing with maps and minis and I am really glad to see WotC making them once again. I tried 5e for 2 months and it felt like 3 steps back as opposed to a step forward. I was really hoping that 5e would be 4e fixed up, cleaned up a bit while really keeping the same concepts and being very tactical and mini focused. It is strange for me as I started playing D&D a long long time ago with Advanced D&D and then 2,3 and finally 4th. Each new edition seemed to move forwards. 3 was an improved 2. 4e was such a new concept and I really liked it but I wanted the same where the next edition refined it and again moved forwards not backwards as 5e has.

hugodlr

Explorer
Still playing 4th Edition - my group of friends and I have been playing together
since Middle school (I'm 43 now). We only get to play once a month for about 4-5
hours (except summer - almost all of us teach, so maybe 2x a month in June &
July). I also started a roleplaying club at my school three years ago, so I get to
introduce 7th & 8th graders to the joy of RPG's through quick games at lunch and
sometimes a game after school or on a Saturday. I'll prob keep at it til WotC
takes down DDI - I can't imagine making a 4e character without it.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

dream66_

First Post
I really love D&D 4e. I love playing with maps and minis and I am really glad to see WotC making them once again. I tried 5e for 2 months and it felt like 3 steps back as opposed to a step forward. I was really hoping that 5e would be 4e fixed up, cleaned up a bit while really keeping the same concepts and being very tactical and mini focused. It is strange for me as I started playing D&D a long long time ago with Advanced D&D and then 2,3 and finally 4th. Each new edition seemed to move forwards. 3 was an improved 2. 4e was such a new concept and I really liked it but I wanted the same where the next edition refined it and again moved forwards not backwards as 5e has.

I totally agree with everything you said here. 5e was a letdown, but strangely 13th Age was the bigger letdown. I guess the way it was talked about I got some idea in my head that it was gonna be to 4e what Pathfinder is to 3.x, But hell 13th Age looks closer to Pathfinder than it does to 4e. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but come on the 3.x grognards got Pathfinder, where's our 3rd party carrying on?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I totally agree with everything you said here. 5e was a letdown, but strangely 13th Age was the bigger letdown. I guess the way it was talked about I got some idea in my head that it was gonna be to 4e what Pathfinder is to 3.x, But hell 13th Age looks closer to Pathfinder than it does to 4e. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but come on the 3.x grognards got Pathfinder, where's our 3rd party carrying on?

I think the combination of the restrictive GSL and the simple fact that most D&D fans hate 4E with a passion exceeding the heat of a thousand suns means that there will be no Pathfinder-like revival of 4E.

Try and find a 4E fan community: they really don't exist. (There are a couple of forums but there's no passionate community.) 4E fans seem to be the smallest niche in a niche hobby.

Personally, though, I'm not looking for further support. I've got offline versions of the electronic tools for when my DDi subscription loses its value and I have enough material to keep running this game for literally decades providing I can keep keep my group together and/or keep finding players.

And I've also got 13th Age for when I want to scratch a different itch. How I wish 5E's supposedly theatre-of-the-mind combat (which it isn't) was based on 13th Age's improvements in that area.... (And the skill system. And monster design.)

pemerton

Legend
4E fans seem to be the smallest niche in a niche hobby.
You don't think you're being a bit pessimistic?

I think there's as much 4e as OSR. And more than most non-D&D games, I think - look at boards for quite big fantasy RPGs like Rolemaster or Burning Wheel and I don't think you'll find a bigger community than 4e.

Remove ads