D&D 4E Whose staying with 4e?

exile

First Post
I suspect Pathfinder will continue to be my group's game of choice. I suspect I'll play some NEXT at conventions and maybe even dabble with it at home.

My friends in Ohio are looking at sticking with 4E for their home game, but will probably join me with Next play at conventions-- unless they take up Pathfinder instead.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm currently playing 3.5 and 4e. I happily expect to play DnDnext as well. My biggest concern is how they are going to price DDI for people who want both 4e and DnDnext.

D'karr

Adventurer
When D&D Next comes out my group will probably have the same philosophy as we did when 4e came out. We'll continue playing what we're enjoying until we're ready to move to something new.

We play a bunch of games anyway. One more is not going to hurt us in any way.

The current campaign will probably run for longer than the release date of D&D Next so it will probably be at least a year after release before we are even looking at a new game.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I have a new campaign planned for 4e. A May-June start for this game looks likely.
My campaigns tend to run for a year before I need a break.

for 3.5 and 4e I waited a few months after release to commit to them.
for 3rd I was playing with the rule fragments in the back of the PHB, before the MM and DMG were published.

I will prolly follow its development here, before deciding when or if to take the plunge.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
A lot of what has been said and written by WotC regarding 5e runs contrary to my gaming preferences, so I'll stay with 4e. :)

That's very much how I feel.

If I want to go backwards, as it were, I will go with Pathfinder simply because I love their adventure paths. I don't think WotC is ever going to master adventure design again (especially without Rich Baker on staff).

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I'm definitely staying with 4E. It's my favourite edition so far, it does everything that my players and I want it to, and it's the most fun I have had DMing - both at the table and during my prep time - for about 30 years.

I do not believe that the combination of what I have read about 5E so far, the talents of Monte Cook and Mike Mearls and the absence of Rich Baker will result in something I am going to like.

Phototoxin

Explorer
It seems to be a step forward and two steps back so I don't think so. Then again it might be the best thing ever. However I like the fluidity of 4E so if we go back to the clunky 3.x/PF style rules I won't be too bothered.

Grydan

First Post
It's entirely possible I'll be playing or running the next edition, but if I am, it's almost certainly in addition to playing 4th, rather than instead of.

Obryn

Hero
While I hope 5e is a huge success that makes many gamers happy for years, in order to switch, I'd want it to build off of all the improvements made over the past 4 years. It's not looking like that will be the case, though I hope to be proven wrong.

It's all good - I have not an iota of bitterness in my heart. :) Not everyone was happy with 4e, and there was bound to be a flavor of D&D, eventually, that won't be to my own tastes.

-O

Tallifer

Hero
I will always prefer the Fourth Edition (with some house rules), but most of my friends here prefer Old School or Pathfinder. Some of us will playtest the Fifth Edition when it arrives.

Actually my first love is Pendragon, but no one else likes it. <sighs wistfully>

Remove ads