• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Adventure-Building is Bad

Raven Crowking

First Post
Deset Gled said:
Color me amazed that both this and the world-building thread have developed so much interest.

Not as amazed as me (and nice variation on "color me confused"!). Especially this thread, which I just thought would be funny.

RC (Daniel J. Bishop)

Psion

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
Not as amazed as me (and nice variation on "color me confused"!). Especially this thread, which I just thought would be funny.

I'm so used to people making dunderheaded assertions that it didn't even occur to me that you might be, as the Brits say, "taking the piss".

Slife

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
No kidding. Not only is the guy actually just paraphrasing Harrison, but he's a total hack. I've read some of his stuff. I know. He just tends to think he's funny. Really, he's just amusing himself.
Then why the heck did you post it?

FireLance

Legend
Psion said:
Eh. I think challenges need structure and context or it's just a wargame.
Or a randomly generated dungeon. ;) Of course, since we ascribe human-like thought processes to the PCs, they ought to have some reason for wanting to overcome the challenges, even if it's simply the assignment of the week handed to them by their patron.

I don't see plot in RPGs as being the sequence of events that the GM dictates will occurs. I see it as the connecting logic behind the events of the game that are outside of the PCs' direct control.
I hope this doesn't develop into splitting sematic hairs about what "plot" means, but when I talk about events outside of the PCs' direct control (generally because they occur where the PC are not present, or before the PCs arrive on the scene), I generally use terms like "background" or "setting". The DM might also have a plot in mind - how one challenge leads to another, for example, or how failing at one challenge means that the PCs are faced with another one, but it isn't actualized until the PCs actually do something.

hong

WotC's bitch
Raven Crowking said:
Um......D. Joseph Bishop is Daniel Joseph Bishop is Daniel J. Bishop is Raven Crowking.

I thought I was being funny.

Sorry for the confusion.

:heh:
Mang, you just got no style. :cool:

How's the SF writing going anyway?

shilsen

Adventurer
Man, I must be getting good at recognizing your work, RC. I read the first post and thought, "D Joseph Bishop must be Raven Crowking."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads