D&D 5E Why (and how) 5E can succeed

Mercurius

Legend
The full title was going to be "Why (and how) 5E can succeed in ways that 4E failed" but I didn't want this to be construed as an edition war thread. I am not meaning to criticize the quality of any specific edition except insofar as the health and vitality of the community that is built around it. The fact that 5E was announced three and a half years after 4E was published speaks volumes to this failure.

I want to dial back to 2006 or so for a minute. I hadn't played D&D for a few years and wouldn't play until late in 2008 after 4E came out, so my sense of the general market was limited and my view on it is mainly pulled together after the fact. But I think its safe to say that 3.5 was pretty saturated - WotC had come out with such a wide diversity of books, and there was probably - financially speaking, if less so creatively - a law of diminishing returns in effect. A reboot was inevitable. WotC began design work on the next edition of D&D, but they didn't want to do a "3.75" - they wanted to be a bit more radical, and even try to reach out to the wider world of video game and anime culture. In other words, they sought to answer the riddle of: "If geek culture has grown exponentially over the last few decades and gone mainstream, why hasn't D&D grown with it?" So they took some of the more gonzo elements from later 3.5 - inspired by anime, Hong Kong film, and video games - and crafted it into 4E.

The problem with 4E was apparent to many immediately upon arrival. I think it can be best expressed - and least negatively so - in a relatively common view among long-time players, that "4E is a fun game but it isn't D&D to me." Endless discussions and debates occurred in which the concept of "D&D" was beaten away at, and it always ended back with that "to me" part being of key importance. The problem with 4E, and how it "failed," was that it didn't ignite that "D&D for me" experience for a large number of players, many of whom happily transitioned to Pathfinder when it came out in 2009, or one of many retro-clones.

4E didn't fail as a game in that many (including myself) found it quite enjoyable, it failed as the flagship edition of D&D, or what "D&D is to me" for the bulk of the D&D fan-base (for those that might disagree with this, again consider the fact that 5E was announced just three and a half after 4E came out). As I posited elsewhere, 4E could have thrived, if in a more modest way, as an alernate sub-system within D&D, but it was too gonzo, too specific in theme and tone to be "D&D to me" to a larger number of players. I remember many 3.5 players complaining that 3.5, the most successful version of the game since AD&D 1E, wasn't given enough time - that eight years was too short and the fall too abrupt after the great party of the early 2000 that saw the franchise re-ignited. One could argue that if 4E had been published as a sub-edition, that the edition cycle could have lasted longer, maybe a dozen years, and we would have seen a new edition in 2011 or 2012 and it would have been better received because the 3.X edition cycle would have felt more complete. But all of that is water under the bridge.

Now some have pointed out that 4E sold more in its first year than previous editions. But let me emphasize a key word here: sustainability. Something about it prevented it from being a truly sustainable version of the game. First published in mid-2008, the warning signs must have been there within a year or so as WotC came out with Essentials in late 2010, and then the edition was floundering shortly into 2011, with only a few more 4E products trickling in through mid-2012. In other words, 4E thrived for a year, teetered for a couple more years, and then was in full-on collapse just a few years into the cycle, fully "dead" (in terms of new material being published) just four years after first publication.

So what was missing? Why didn't 4E thrive? And, more importantly, how can 5E not make the same mistakes?

I already implied my view above, and it is in the phrase "4E is not D&D to me." The key is making 5E a version of the game for which it can inspire this feeling of "D&D to me' in as many players as possible. Finding new players is another matter, and I'd rather not focus on that too much except as a possible secondary outcome of a healthy core fan-base.

So how can 5E be "D&D to me" for as many folks as possible? How can WotC re-gather the flock, get the band back together? Let me offer one angle on this. Some have called tabletop RPGs a "graying hobby," meaning that the bulk of its players are getting older, and the number of new players is decreasing, or at least not comparable to early waves. This view might be a bit morbid, even myopic, but I think it points to the fact that, at the very least, a large percentage - even strong majority - of D&D players have been playing for decades.

I'm going to bring in a word that some find offensive, but I don't mean it pejoratively: nostalgia. The concept of 'D&D to me" is, if not synonymous with nostalgia, related in some manner. "To me" implies a pre-established relationship and view, something specific in mind. Imagine writing a couple page essay on "what D&D is to me" - and you're likely to find elements looking back to your youth, to the time - usually somewhere in the age 8 to 14 range - that you first started playing, that the magic was ignited. Those core, early experiences formed what D&D is for you. Obviously it has changed over the years, but there's something about those early years. It is not that "D&D to me" is an attempt to re-create those years, but that it is based in that early imprinting.

Speaking for myself, I first played D&D - I think it was Holmes or Moldvay in early 1981 or '82; I was 7 or 8 years old. That was a one-off but I must have been deeply inspired as I was starting to get into fantasy. Anyhow, shortly thereafter some friends of my older brother gave me their AD&D books - they were getting into computers and lost interested in D&D. I was hooked. Anyhow, those 1E AD&D books formed the basis of what "D&D is to me," as well as classic modules like Tomb of Horrors, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and the Giants-Drow series. My view of D&D has broadened since then, but there's a core archetype, a feeling that was formed thirty years ago.

There are a ton of roleplaying options out there and, to be honest, I don't even think that D&D is the best one in terms of game design. I personally like games like Talislanta, Ars Magica, Savage Worlds and FATE at least as much as D&D in terms of the game mechanics. But they're not D&D, not the game I grew up on. As a moderate player over the years - often going a few years without playing and rarely playing in more than a twice monthly game - I only have time for some much gaming, and playing other games have been more like vacations or exceptions. I always come back to D&D, and when I play D&D I want it to "feel like D&D to me."

I'm guessing that my story is not unusual, that a large number of people have similar experiences - if with, of course, specific variations and unique exceptions. Maybe you started in the mid-70s, or maybe in the early 90s or even with 3E in 2000, but there's an initial imprinting, and in that span of time - 1974 into the 2000s - there's been a clear lineage.

Now I don't feel that 4E is that different, but it is different. Its sort of like the Jeremy Renner of the Bourne world - pretty good, but he isn't Bourne to me; or the Timothy Dalton of the Bond world - a fine actor, but not quite Bond to me (these analogies don't quite work, but they give a sense of what I'm getting at). 4E seems to me like a merging of 20th century D&D with some of the more recent fantastical elements especially as found in anime and video games. This wasn't a bad idea in and of itself, and I generally like modernizing, but the problem is that the core of it, what most/many people identify with as "D&D to me," became obscured underneath the modern elements - whether we're talking game mechanics like the AEDU paradigm or fluff elements like dragonborn, tieflings, and shardminds. This was exemplified by the "heresy" of displacing gnomes, bards and druids from the Player's Handbook in favor of dragonborn, tieflings, warlocks and warlords.

Now why I think 5E can be truly successful - at least as far as the core D&D community - is that they seem to want to both A) re-orient to a classic core, and B) retain the newer ideas and be open to other variations, but as modular options. On one hand this sounds like a re-cycling back to to 3.X, but I think the key difference, a third element is that C) they are re-setting the core game mechanics to a simpler version which will both offer easier entry for new players, a solid core base for modular options, and of course attract some of the old-timers who want a simpler game than 3.X and 4E.

From that point, I think 5E can re-invigorate the D&D fan-base - re-gather the flock, so to speak. And if so, they can broaden outward with a healthier (and happier) core fan-base. In other words, if they can re-gain the bird in hand, they can think more about the two birds in the bush (whereas with 4E they lost the bird in hand and wasn't able to capture the birds in the bush, even finding that one of them didn't actually exist!).

So I'm feeling optimistic. I don't know if 5E will succeed but I think it can and that WotC is generally on the right track.

Derren

Hero
"Its not D&D" is a catch all term for not liking the edition and I don't think many people really meant that things that they consider to be D&D are missing.

Also, there is no clear idea what D&D is. For some players, D&D is primarily a wargame, for some it isn't. And you can't please both of them. 4E tried the wargame thing and while the wargame players were happy, others weren't and left for pathfinder.

In my eyes, 5E can't succeed by looking backwards, picking out some features and labeling them true D&D (even with optional models there will be a core and it will define the next edition).
Instead, 5E has to go forward and expand what D&D is and offer more than the previous editions instead of less with a "this is real D&D" label.

Zardnaar

Legend
My 1st D&D was BECMI but the 1st books I owned were 1st ed OA, UA,DMG, FF and the MM. No PHB so I learnt the D&D fluff 1st 20+ years ago. And Eye of the Beholder 1&2 on the Amiga.

D&DN fails at being D&D for me for the following reasons though.

1. No real vancian spell casting. We have refluffed 4E daily powers.
2. All classes have the same proficiency bonus. From BECMI-3rd ed the classes had different THACOs/BAB etc.
3. Saving throws being ability based. Last I looked 3 saves were less complicated than 6. Saves being weak in general and back to 3rd eds +6 difference between a good and bad save, OSR it is generally 1-3 points between a good and bad save.
4. BA and weak monsters. OSR monsters are kind of weak as well but they have AC 0 to -10 or 20-30 ACs at least.
5. To much complexity, see the fighter class. I want a nice and basic fighter that is effective. Think ACKs or the 2nd ed fighter with some splat material for examples.
6. To many 4Eisms. Damage on a miss, hit dice based healing, game mode being easy by default, scaling at wills etc.
7. Game was really only fun at level 1-3, math started falling apart at level 5+. Game runs even worse than AD&D at level 15, players asked to stop playing it.

Those are the main problems I have ATM. To many dead sacred cows IMHO. Also I can't find local players as my playtest group has rejected it i favor of PF/clone/homebrew and the local RPG club has dismissed it as 4.5.

Mercurius

Legend
"Its not D&D" is a catch all term for not liking the edition and I don't think many people really meant that things that they consider to be D&D are missing.

Also, there is no clear idea what D&D is. For some players, D&D is primarily a wargame, for some it isn't. And you can't please both of them. 4E tried the wargame thing and while the wargame players were happy, others weren't and left for pathfinder.

In my eyes, 5E can't succeed by looking backwards, picking out some features and labeling them true D&D (even with optional models there will be a core and it will define the next edition).
Instead, 5E has to go forward and expand what D&D is and offer more than the previous editions instead of less with a "this is real D&D" label.

As far as "looking backwards" goes, I don't mean "picking out some features and labeling them true D&D." I actually agree with moving forward but think you need to start with a simpler core to allow for this expansion in the form of modular options. This allows for accommodating a variety of folks and what D&D is to them. But the simple core is both mechanical and thematic. In other words, eschewing dragonborn/tiefling/eladrin in the core and leaving them to an "advanced races" type book.

Derren

Hero
As far as "looking backwards" goes, I don't mean "picking out some features and labeling them true D&D." I actually agree with moving forward but think you need to start with a simpler core to allow for this expansion in the form of modular options. This allows for accommodating a variety of folks and what D&D is to them. But the simple core is both mechanical and thematic. In other words, eschewing dragonborn/tiefling/eladrin in the core and leaving them to an "advanced races" type book.

I do not believe in modular options, no matter how they are advertised. Options will either be supported so well that they are in effect core or they will be ignored and not be anything different than variant rules found in Unearthed Arcana books.
In the end there will be 1 core set of rules the designer will take for granted and support and according to this set the edition will be measured by the customers.

Mercurius

Legend
1. No real vancian spell casting. We have refluffed 4E daily powers.

Is this actually true? I still haven't played Next and only given the rules a cursory glance, but plan on playing in about a month so will go more deeply into them soon.

To be honest, one of the things I never loved about D&D was Vancian spell casting, especially when I discovered Ars Magica which, in my mind, has the best magic system I've ever come across.

2. All classes have the same proficiency bonus. From BECMI-3rd ed the classes had different THACOs/BAB etc.

I'm assuming that there's still differentiation so that fighters are still better at weapons, etc. So isn't the the end result the same as having different BAB?

3. Saving throws being ability based. Last I looked 3 saves were less complicated than 6. Saves being weak in general and back to 3rd eds +6 difference between a good and bad save, OSR it is generally 1-3 points between a good and bad save.

I actually really like the three saves and was a bit miffed about losing Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. In other words, I prefer the stylistically, although find that they aren't really necessary mechanically and just add an extra layer (e.g. Will = Wisdom save). So it isn't so simple as 3 saves being less complicated than 6; in actuality, its 6 scores (abilities) are less complicated than 9 (abilities + saves).

4. BA and weak monsters. OSR monsters are kind of weak as well but they have AC 0 to -10 or 20-30 ACs at least.

I'm still unclear on bounded accuracy. As for monsters, I think we won't know until we get the actual rules.

5. To much complexity, see the fighter class. I want a nice and basic fighter that is effective. Think ACKs or the 2nd ed fighter with some splat material for examples.

This is the first I've heard of any aspect of Next being too complex. My guess is that they opened a bag with 3E and especially 4E that can't (or shouldn't) be entirely closed: non-spellcasters having more options. If Next can, for non-spellcasters, keep the baby (options) while throwing out the bathwater (gamey powers) I'll be happy.

6. To many 4Eisms. Damage on a miss, hit dice based healing, game mode being easy by default, scaling at wills etc.

For me these are good things. Why? Because I liked a lot about 4E - including healing surge, and especially easy DM set-up. Damage on a miss makes sense for things like fireball, which you'd have to really miss to not do any damage with. if "miss" means mis-cast, that's another thing, but I think that would be a critical miss. I can't remember how it worked in 4E, but I could easily see damage on a miss on a natural 1 being negated. Hmm...maybe my first Next house rule?

7. Game was really only fun at level 1-3, math started falling apart at level 5+. Game runs even worse than AD&D at level 15, players asked to stop playing it.

Again, you're talking about the playtest. Let's see how it actually plays when the finished rules come out.

Those are the main problems I have ATM. To many dead sacred cows IMHO. Also I can't find local players as my playtest group has rejected it i favor of PF/clone/homebrew and the local RPG club has dismissed it as 4.5.

I honestly don't see a slaughter yard of sacred cows.

Mercurius

Legend
I do not believe in modular options, no matter how they are advertised. Options will either be supported so well that they are in effect core or they will be ignored and not be anything different than variant rules found in Unearthed Arcana books.
In the end there will be 1 core set of rules the designer will take for granted and support and according to this set the edition will be measured by the customers.

I think modular options are just a fancy, and institutionalized, way of describing all of those rules that you don't need to run the game. Remember encumbrance in AD&D? In my circles no one used it, or at least it was done by "eyeball" (e.g. you couldn't fight with a huge chest on your back, which is why everyone had a bag of holding, which in turn no one actually ever kept track of how much was in it).

I think its more of a perspective shift than an actual codification of a new approach to the rules. In 4E "everything was core"; in Next, it seems, very little will be core and "most everything is optional."I think that's why they're stripping down things like saves and skills - they can be added in. Remember the complexity dial thing.

Li Shenron

Legend
Now why I think 5E can be truly successful - at least as far as the core D&D community - is that they seem to want to both A) re-orient to a classic core, and B) retain the newer ideas and be open to other variations, but as modular options. On one hand this sounds like a re-cycling back to to 3.X, but I think the key difference, a third element is that C) they are re-setting the core game mechanics to a simpler version which will both offer easier entry for new players, a solid core base for modular options, and of course attract some of the old-timers who want a simpler game than 3.X and 4E.

Ignoring the part about the past, and focusing on the part about the future... well I can say what you say here is nothing new to me but it's definitely accurate! This is very much what 5e is about (rephrasing your 3 points): focusing on what always made D&D recognizable and unique (which is rules first, and settings second), make the game more flexible than ever to accomodate as many gamestyles as possible, and simplify the unavoidable core (which is itself something that helps the previous point big time).

Derren

Hero
I think its more of a perspective shift than an actual codification of a new approach to the rules. In 4E "everything was core"; in Next, it seems, very little will be core and "most everything is optional."I think that's why they're stripping down things like saves and skills - they can be added in. Remember the complexity dial thing.

As I said I do not believe that this will work. Having options increases the the effort needed to write further splatbooks and adventures quadratically. The designers will instead settle for one set of rules to use and let the DM figure out how to fit in the modules he uses, just like normal house rules.
And as you said, people had no problem with leaving out rules they do not like anyway. So all this talk about modules and dials are just marketing.

People will look at 5E and see either that there are no skills, just ability scores (because skills are not supported very well) or that there are skills (because all further books support them) and judge according to that.

Remove ads