D&D General Why can Giant Eagles, Giant Elk, and Giant Owls speak?

the Jester

Legend
Well, sure, but that's a circular answer. They 1e authors had to make the decision about why they should speak, too.

I would guess Tolkien and, in general, all the mythology and folk tales involving talking to giant animals. If you're looking for actual logic, I don't think you'll find any- in a lot of cases, D&D draws on a lot of tropes and myths and stories in which you see people that do it, so the game has it in there somewhere.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Because birds are amazingly smart for the size of their brains. Make them giant sized and their brains will be more than smart enough to talk. They also have the ability to talk, as seen (heard?) in parrots.
Their lungs are probably complex enough to generate lots of the same noises we can, but the ones they're going to have problems with are m's, t's, p's, and other plosives.

I agree with those saying that it might be because of their big brains, but I also think it has a bit of magic to do with it. Like, Tarrasques probably have huge brains, but they're not smart, don't speak, and so on.

Weiley31

Legend
As an add-on to the Tolkien part, there was a LOTR game some time ago called "War in The North" and the Giant Eagle that "joins" your party speaks Common/English.

And as an add-on to the Giant Animal part, I say/view it as such creatures being related to the Primal Spirits of Nature. Such beings have existed for quite sometime and have seen/heard the various tongues of different races spoken for long periods of time.

Remove ads