D&D General why did they transform the Barbarian into a Raging Monster ?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Barbarians in my world are primal warriors that commune with the primal spirits of nature to channel and enhance their speed, cunning, strength, and ferocity. The Barbarian’s Rage is when a primal spirit enters the body of the warrior, allowing them to fight as one and greatly augmenting their abilities.

HammerMan

Legend
Back on topic, why not do something like this?

Trance: The user can enter a state of altered awareness allowing a purer focus during battle. This focus enables them to ward of fear and intimidation, withstand greater levels of damage; as well to increase the amount of damage that they can inflict.
• Calmness
• Fury / Rage
yeah this is part of why I flip floped 5e flavor/mechanic for monk and barbarian in one campaign world.

Lyxen

Great Old One
True, But you can't let that stop you from studying and appreciating the past for what we can learn from it.

Exactly. Also, the past is the past, and it's never going to change, facts are facts (even though they certainly can be painted in a certain light by some individuals). Moreover, and more to the point, a lot of that past is used as inspiration for our games. Howard would not have created Conan without some inspiration about the past, and we would not have a barbarian class without that.

It's pointless to try to deny the past, we can just make sure that the future is better, including using non-offensive references of the past, but while still not forgetting that it was pretty bad in a large number of domains...

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I have also been messing around with stat values to get the comic book hero feel too.

Str 10 = Normal = 100 pounds
Str 13 = Athletic = 400 pounds
Str 15 = Olympic = 600 pounds
Str 18 = Peak = 800 pounds
Str 20 = Enhanced = 1,000 pounds

Although the above is strength, it would also go across all other attributes. So Charisma 18 would be Lex Luthor sway the masses despite4 being shown to be a total liar.

I know this is off topic, so apologies everyone.
honestly, this would make passive check so much better and with the logical downscaling of what should be passable to play a class the in-game math would be better

Weiley31

Legend
Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E describes it so that you can have two flavors of the Barbarian's Rage: The classic Hulk Smash Anger and Zen-Like Cool/cold, deadly precision. It's basically just for ascetics but I actually like the fact that it gives you a choice in how to flavor it RP wise. It was also referred to as Battle-Fury and the Barbarian was called Slayer.

Then in Laser & Liches/Retroverse Player's Mix, your Barbarian doesn't rage, but instead Raves. This one actually has a bit of a difference as it allows your "Rave" to key off of STR or DEX, unlike the standard Barbarian. Which actually gives you an excuse to have a DEX Barbarian instead of the cliche STR Barbarian. (Although it adds the Barbarian to the god stat DEX club.)

I totally recommend both for cherry picking stuff for your 5E games, but Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E is a bit of a pain to collect now. The Player's Mix(L&L) is a hella lot easier to get and cheaper at the moment in its Beta stage.*

But I still love how both gives examples on how one can always fluff their Barbarian Rages.

Last edited:

Rogerd1

Adventurer
yeah this is part of why I flip floped 5e flavor/mechanic for monk and barbarian in one campaign world.
And if a barbarian picked gifted (granted to them) or innate they could also pick Warp spasm. Slaine is a go!

honestly, this would make passive check so much better and with the logical downscaling of what should be passable to play a class the in-game math would be better
Thank you :)
Feel free to steal.

HammerMan

Legend
Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E describes it so that you can have two flavors of the Barbarian's Rage: The classic Hulk Smash Anger and Zen-Like Cool/cold, deadly precision. It's basically just for ascetics but I actually like the fact that it gives you a choice in how to flavor it RP wise. It was also referred to as Battle-Fury and the Barbarian was called Slayer.
I love the middle earth book as a modified low magic (or in my case REALLY HIGH but rare magic) D&D

GreyLord

Legend
a Barbarian should behave like North American Indians, happy with Natural Beasts and always on the run, with skills like Climate Knowledge or Herbalism ...

a Raging Barbarian should be renamed a Berserker, that's it !
Probably because Native Americans were NOT Barbarians.

I mean, that's a pretty good reason not to make them like that.

Your description isn't really that of Native Americans anyways. There were many different tribes/nations in North America itself which had differeing cultures across the continent. Comparing the nations of the Northwest to those of the Southeast you'll find cultures as different from each other as you would between Californians of the United States and the Odishans (sp? a state in India) of India.

Remove ads