Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

I don't think US Americans pronounce Centaur as Cen-tar.

It is pronounced more like Cen-Ta-ur. So that would be Sin-Tah-Uhr.

It is NOT pronounced like the US Americans pronounce Dinosaur (Di-No-Soor).

Albeit, the Canadians may pronounce it that way (as I think indicated by @FitzTheRuke above me states...Sin-Toors or Sin-Toh-Ars.

Edit PS: As long as we are on spelling and speaking...things that confused me when I was younger...probably from switching back and forth between the UK and the US at various times...

Is it color...or colour?

Is it Center...or Centre?

Drove me nutty at times.

My guess this is very regional. Like Aunt, drawer, and similar words. Things are pronounced differently in different parts of the country

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
In America we do not speak English, our language is a mash of every European language and others from around the world that we then call English. God, forbid we add in regional accents.

MGibster

Legend
In America we do not speak English, our language is a mash of every European language and others from around the world that we then call English. God, forbid we add in regional accents.
This is false. Per the terms of the Treaty of Washington (1871), the United States became the seat of proper English. This was a concession made by the British for allowing Confederate warships to be constructed Liverpool. This ultimately paved the way to the Great Rapprochement were the two great nations recognized the political, economic, and military objectives they shared in common.

aramis erak

Legend
Why do Canadians pronounce about 'aboot'?
The Quebeçois influence? Wait, that would be "aboo" (noting the silence of the final consonant...)

I've always heard minotaur as either "MEE no tar" or "MIN o tar", and only from the UK have I heard it "MY no ta-ur"

More seriously, looking at what I've seen on TV shows from Aussies, the US, Canada, and the UK...
The US seems closer to the Aussies and South Africans than to UK RP (Received Pronunciation), let alone to all the funky dialects across the Island.... Even Scots pronunciations seem closer, even if the vocabulary isn't...

How in the bloody hell do y'all in the UK get anything done with all those nearly unintelligible dialects?

In US English, the aur trigraph is very close to "ar"... most of the US lacks the Rhotic shift which seems to have infiltrated Massachussets and UK RP

Mezuka

Hero
The Quebeçois influence? Wait, that would be "aboo" (noting the silence of the final consonant...)
Wait, what? I've never heard a Canadian pronounce 'about' 'aboo'. Quebecois has no influence on how canadian pronounce words. Except maybe english Canadians who live in Montreal, who say 'I'm taking the metro' instead of taking the subway. 🙃

Remove ads