D&D 5E Why do guns do so much damage?

see

Pedantic Grognard
And there's the "It's not a simulation" derailment and dismissal. Thanks.
The problem is very simply that D&D hit points (as they were explicitly defined by the game's original author) are a grab-bag of things too vague to meaningfully analyze. How much favor-of-the-gods should a gunshot cost a character compared to a sword stab?

Now, if you choose to redefine D&D hit points as resistance-to-physical-force, sure, then you can then discuss damage in terms of pure physical force. But then you're also declaring that it takes less physical force to stab straight through three warhorses to kill a fourth than it takes to cut through a thin layer of a 10th-level character's skin and muscle to reach the carotid or femoral artery. You'll get a really coherent model of how much damage each weapon should do . . . and as a consequence produce results such as characters being able to take a gun and shoot themselves in the head to intimidate their foes.

Which is perfectly acceptable if that's the way you want to have things work in your game, but most people playing D&D, historically, aren't aesthetically on-board with that. And if you ad hoc your way around such consequences of a definition of hit points, all you're doing is pushing "hit points are not a simulation of resistance to physical force" under a rug.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
but bullets aren't just piercing weapons they are also designed to flatten out/expand after hitting and gouge out more flesh as they do so. Also it depends on the caliber/size of the bullet which would adjust the potential damage. Musket balls were actually pretty big. and the damage done was probably close to pike damage, they killed many a men with one shot on the battlefield.
One-shot kills have always been, and remain, extremely rare. The majority of modern gun shot wound victims survive, including the majority of torso shots, and a very large percentage that I can't find ATM but was posted upthread last year when this thread was current, of head shots also survive.

Before modern medicine and ambulances, most gun shot wound victims died hours or days after being shot, from things like infection and sepsis.
incorrect plate armor was made to resist slower arms like arrows and swords and usually wasn't as thick as you might think due to weight. it wasn't like modern day thickness of steel. A bullet due to its velocity to size could usually pierce and kill its occupant much easier than you would think. Hence why armor saw less and less use on the battlefield after firearms became prevalent on the scene.
It seems a bit out of line to make your, what, 2nd post on these forums, a rude reply to a post from last year wherein you make quite clear that you didn't bother reading the thread rather than just the OP and a few more recent posts.

Just a thought.

And breast plates were in common use for quite a long time after guns became commonplace in European armies. For a reason. Maybe read the posts upthread that dig into the actual math and materials science of the topic, in detail.
I just want people to have equally stupid and needlessly realistic arguments about stilettoes, picks, and lances.

Why only just ruin one type of weapon?
Oh come on. The same folks have definitely ruined rapiers, at least.
Using your analysis All weapons should do the same damage, afterall a dagger to your vitals is going to kill you too and a knife slice across your belly is also effective in spilling your intestines
Well, yeah. Using damage die to differentiate weapons has always been extremely abstract.
Clever Nick, just a thought (not rebar, the weapons comment): In my karate class, they taught us how to fight a knife wielder (and a club wielder, which was like 90% the same). When we asked about a gun-wielder, the answer was "Give him what he wants. Unless you're willing to die to prevent losing it (like a loved one). If that's the case..." then showed us how to "win", but with the understanding that we would be shot in the process.
Ya know, according to the martial artists and vets I know, they should have told you the same thing about knives.

Now imagine the knife blade is 3+ feet long and the person wielding it actually knows how to use it.

But "you can win in this scenario, but you will get injured in the process" is entirely within the realm of what dnd characters do every day, so to me this is all a great argument for guns not needing to be outside the power level band of the PHB.
Primary issue with firearms is "ranged weapon", followed by "speed", and "ease of use". Whether in a modern age or a historical one. Throw that into a game system with "HP" and "AC", and no one can agree how to model it!
I mean, heavy crossbows have magical easy reloading in 5e, and it's fine.
Why assume it’s renaissance era? Or that it’s charcoal/sulfur/potassium nitrate propellant? Renaissance craftsmen didn’t have magic, (functioning) alchemy, or imaginary alloys at their disposal.

Look, if you don’t like firearms then give them undesirable stats. If you like them, give them good stats. All these arguments about physics, and what makes a bigger hole, seem to be missing the point of the game.
You seem to have missed the point of the OP.

Guns don't need to do more damage than other weapons. There is just as much argument for the deadlier melee weapons to do more damage, and at the end of the day they all kill you so it's really not that important what the specific numbers are.

Seriously if you're going to quote an OP who has made it clear they don't care to rehash an argument they already had almost a year ago when this thread was posted, at least read a decent amount of it before needlessly quoting them.
whereas swords would still be...swords.
Well, no. Not really.

We literally are better at making swords than pre-modern peoples were. Our steel is vastly better, and we have alloys that are just vastly superior to most steel.

The only real difference is that swords would be improved in ways that aren't really fun to model, or are already assumed as part of the game. That is, they wouldn't break nearly as much, would be vastly more consistent, and would be lighter and better able to hold a very sharp edge through heavy use.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
You seem to have missed the point of the OP.

Guns don't need to do more damage than other weapons. There is just as much argument for the deadlier melee weapons to do more damage, and at the end of the day they all kill you so it's really not that important what the specific numbers are.

Seriously if you're going to quote an OP who has made it clear they don't care to rehash an argument they already had almost a year ago when this thread was posted, at least read a decent amount of it before needlessly quoting them.

Well, you likewise seem to have missed my point. I also said that guns don't "need" to do more damage than other weapons, but that if they are going to have penalties that comparable weapons (e.g. crossbows) don't have, then based on the design philosophy of D&D they should do more damage. Because D&D doesn't balance around realism, it tries to make all options viable through trade-offs. No always successfully, but that's how it works. So if:
1) Guns have factors that make them more difficult to use than the alternatives (proficiency requirements, cost, weight, rarity, loading time, etc.), and
2) You, the DM, want guns to be a balanced choice,
Then, yes, guns need to do more damage.

(Again, my personal stance is that I don't want guns in my D&D, so I don't arrive at that conclusion.)

Well, no. Not really.

We literally are better at making swords than pre-modern peoples were. Our steel is vastly better, and we have alloys that are just vastly superior to most steel.

The only real difference is that swords would be improved in ways that aren't really fun to model, or are already assumed as part of the game. That is, they wouldn't break nearly as much, would be vastly more consistent, and would be lighter and better able to hold a very sharp edge through heavy use.

Vastly less expensive, too.

But it doesn't hurt any more to get hit by a modern sword than by a 10th century sword. And how much it hurts is what we're talking about.

Look, my main point is that the entire game is built around fun, not realism, and the entire weapon list is built around game balance, not on the relative damage to soft tissue of various weapon designs. Are you really arguing that in this one case it should be different?

P.S. As for this:
...if you're going to quote an OP who has made it clear they don't care to rehash an argument...

The OP is free to not respond to me if they are done debating it. "I'm going to attack your post, and you, but please don't respond because I'm done with this conversation" is not really a good faith argument. Which is ironic, in this case.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The damage roll also factors in armor penetration.

I'm not sure it's meant to, in general, but one could certainly explain a larger damage die this way. The downside to a "larger wound" is that the damage is spread across a larger surface, which in turn makes any intervening armor more effective. Right?

There is no such thing in D&D. You can be stabbed ten million times for 60 million damage and your armor will have not a single hole in it.
Of course there is no such thing sepcifically in D&D... It is an abstraction. If you object the word armor penetration, use armor circumvention.
It is all a jumbled mess when it comes to hitting, damage, luck, health.
But it works and it is simple.

MGibster

Legend
One-shot kills have always been, and remain, extremely rare. The majority of modern gun shot wound victims survive, including the majority of torso shots, and a very large percentage that I can't find ATM but was posted upthread last year when this thread was current, of head shots also survive.
In the immediacy, I think it's probably more important that taking a shot to the torso is likely to end by ability to continue fighting.
There is no such thing in D&D. You can be stabbed ten million times for 60 million damage and your armor will have not a single hole in it.
And this right here is why I don’t like guns in my D&D games. It takes me out of the fantasy.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In the immediacy, I think it's probably more important that taking a shot to the torso is likely to end by ability to continue fighting.
About as much as getting stabbed.

Oh, and my combat vet buddies have told me in the past that it often takes several body shots to make someone stop fighting. Adrenaline is wild stuff.
And this right here is why I don’t like guns in my D&D games. It takes me out of the fantasy.
Can you expand on this? I don’t see what connect their comment and yours. Why do guns take you out of the fantasy?

Remove ads