D&D General Why Do People Hate Gnomes?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My wife once played a gnome paladin of the goddess of love named Rosalyn Wocket who's father owned Wocket's Rockets. Enough said.
I'm not sure how or why that is "enough said"?

Anyway, in counterpoint;

My wife has a Gnomish artificer in Faerun (began in 4e) from Myth Drannor, named Nemain (insert about a dozen other mostly irish names here) Trickfoot. Her mother runs a messenger's guild similar to house Sivis in Eberron but without the monopoly, mixed with a bit of Orien couriers, and her father is a professional archeologist and thief, basically, who gets hired to retrieve precious items from dangerous locales.

She isn't a super serious character, but she's not joke, either. She wants to bring down Netheril because they killed her older sister, and joined a thieves guild that hides a revolutionary group in Selgaunt to that purpose. She also wants to help recreate some of the lost wonders of ancient times, expand Faerun's fledgeling network of portals (which we have interpreted in 5e as magic items that can cast teleportation circle but which can also be locked and require someone at the other portal to allow entry), and to figure out her autoguardian (warforged) companion, who she named The Toaster, and try to replicate his sentience.

Even further from stereotypes is my own gnome swashbuckler/bladesinger, sailor named Dresden (many irish names) Spelleater Darkblade Woodsheart, who while he is an accomplished alchemist and inventor, his defining characteristics are more his temper, his penchant for song, and his acrobatic and swordfighting skill, and the way he weaves arcane magic through all of that. He is very Irish and Welsh inspired, takes the Fey very seriously, loves to sing of old Tyr Danen, where his ancestors served the great Fairy Queen of the North and lived in great cities within and throughout the living bodies of trees whose remaining stumps form the walls of towns and fortresses in the ancient mountain home, but which once reached so high into the sky that mortal beings could scarce dwell in the canopy.

Scribe

Legend
Love this guy.

regill-companion-pathfinder-wotr-wiki-guide-300px.jpg

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
The name I use on here, "Redthistle", is the family name of one of my favorite gnome PCs, one I played a few years ago during a Pathfinder "Rise of the Rune Lords" campaign. I have always enjoyed playing gnomes ... perhaps because almost every character I've created over the years (of any ancestry) has been against type, so the stereotypes some folks have about them haven't pragmatically applied.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The name I use on here, "Redthistle", is the family name of one of my favorite gnome PCs, one I played a few years ago during a Pathfinder "Rise of the Rune Lords" campaign. I have always enjoyed playing gnomes ... perhaps because almost every character I've created over the years (of any ancestry) has been against type, so the stereotypes some folks have about them haven't pragmatically applied.
what is it that makes gnomes good in your eyes then?

Remove ads