D&D General Why Do People Hate Gnomes?

My last gnomish character was named Lilyput, she was a forest gnome conjuration wizard.

When playing her, I really played up the animal lover and forest aspects. She bargained with the animals she summoned for favours, and I flavoured most of the spells as reflecting her woodland home (so Grease became slippery mud). We didn’t reach level 6, which is a shame because I wanted to flavour her benign transposition class feature as an offshoot of her gnomish magic, and I was looking forward to getting fade away at her 4th level feat.

Both features reflected her personality: she was kind, but shy and retiring.

Gnomes, I think, missed the boat on being a first-round race. Elves, dwarves, and halflings were all established really early in the games run as distinct classes. As classes, they needed to be complete characters: there's a bit of chicken-and-egg here, but like most early DnD classes they were designed to emulate specific characters from fiction, but rather quickly were expanded into entire peoples.

If gnomes were included that early, I feel they would be just as established. But that would need there to be a popular gnome character to emulate. I don't know of any such character, but I'm not an expert on the history of fantasy fiction.
Race as class started with Holmes, which came out when AD&D started coming out, so gnomes coincided with that timeframe. However, I think the central premise is still pretty spot on.
Thinking back to playing AD&D and the basic-classic line back in the day and frankly, no one played anything other than elf, half-elf, or human unless there was a specific reason (usually RP). Humans had unlimited advancement and open class options (and their own form of multiple classing). Elves and half-elves had level limits high enough to usually not be an issue, had some of the good multiclass option (especially in 1E, where a fighter-magic user could cast in armor), and elves got longsword/bow bonuses while half-elves could be classes no other non-human could be; plus over in basic-classic elves' race-as-class was a pretty cool fighter-mage concept you otherwise couldn't do in the core rules. Compare that to dwarves and halflings and gnomes*, and it's just a niche situation where you choose them based on the game mechanics. Halfling thieves were on par with H, E, or 1/2E, and also fit the Bilbo Baggins motif. Dwarven fighters had some decided limitations** that depended significantly by which TSR-A/D&D used, but if you could handle them you could make a half-decent fighter and that also fit the Tolkien dwarven aesthetic. And then you had gnomes which... well, they got darkvision and magic/poison bonuses like dwarves and could be illusionists (and let's be honest, exactly how often did you play illusionists either?). That just wasn't a schtick big enough to build a race around. Sure, you could play a gnome thief, but that would be horning in on an already iconic halfling thief motif, and didn't really offer much that a dwarven thief couldn't already do. There's just not a central iconic concept for them as robust as dwarf with axe or halfling sneaking through shadows to prevent them from being overshadowed by TSR-era D&D's incentivization of 'when in doubt, consider human or elf.' Twenty-six years later, they could have with 3e done something with gnomes to give them a distinct identity, but by then they were decidedly also-rans and no one had a lot of will to do so.
*and half-orcs, for that matter, and they really fell into the 'only saw them when someone wanted to try a cleric-assassin' camp.
**although armor tended to already limit fighter speed, making the the biggest one -- dwarven speed --not be such an issue

Gnomes' hook seems to be 'wacky engineers' - which isn't the least popular hook but isn't as popular as edgy or dragon seems to be.
It, like Illusionist BITD, is enough to make a themed character around the concept approximately once per player (or so). You might play dwarven fighters or elven gishes constantly, pirates or swashbucklers or gunslingers or pajama-ninjas every 3-4 years when you get the yearning, maybe something like a total pacifist or 'can I play as someone else's pet dragon?' twice, but 'wacky engineer' or similar you probably try once, decide 'it was a fun novelty, and I don't regret it (my party might), but after the novelty wears off you're trying to clear a dungeon or solve a serious adventure with a walking joke.'

Gnomes' hook seems to be 'wacky engineers' - which isn't the least popular hook but isn't as popular as edgy or dragon seems to be.
And it's now entirely redundant. If you want to be a 'wacky engineer' then you can do it just as well with any race by picking the artificer class, with the rock gnome's Tinker ability being for all practical purposes a ribbon ability at the best of times and even more niche when compared to Magical Tinkering. Other than the occasional Expertise (History (Limited)) rock gnomes as wacky engineers are "I'm a wacky engineer because I come from a family of wacky engineers" and don't actually gain much wacky engineering for their choice of race. If they were removed from the game the players who really want to play wacky engineers would still be playing artificers and I doubt new players would ever notice they'd left a gap. There was admittedly a niche for them before artificers became the only class added to 5e post-launch but being a wacky engineer is something you do with your life, not your backstory.

There's also another gnome subrace in the forest gnomes. And again if they disappeared I doubt the gap would be noticed.

rmcoen

Adventurer
Dwarves are the miners and smiths of my world(s), including goldsmiths and silversmiths. They excel at engineering on a grand scale.
Gnomes, on the other hand, are the jewelers and technologists. They excel at the minute and the intricate. They are the alchemists and artificers. (Additionally, the dwarves are too tradition-focused to experiment with technology and science and ideas that haven't been around for 400 years already.)

Dwarves make stone golems. Gnomes makes clockwerks (robots). Dwarves create stoneplate, a flexible form of marble armor, made only for the strongest among them, and royalty. Gnomes make, well, everything else alchemical - fire, lightning, cold, poison, fuses, bombs, potions, ointments and unguents, etc. The dwarves and the gnomes actually have a very profitable mutual trade system - gnomish gems for the jewelry, and alchemical items for mining and stoneplate, in exchange for dwarven metalsmithing of special alloys and precision gears, sturdy construction work and armor plate for the clockwerks, and so on.

No hate for the gnomes, but quite a bit of pigeonholing. Last two gnome PCs were Artificers (a Battlesmith, and an Artillerist). "Polite society" isn't super-fond of having "mad scientist" around, but they love the goods and creations!

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I was in the camp of indifferent at best. This thread got me looking harder at gnomes.

I am a person that does not want to dip fighter before taking blade warlock: I LIKE the wis and chr save!

I really am not a fan of the playful/silly vibe some flavor text and art suggests (e.g. shocked gnome after his face is blackens with soot from explosion).

However…I really dig darkvision and somehow overlooked gnome cunning. There is a cool toughness to gnome cunning!

So I poked around more. I think a svirfneblin might suit me—-flavor as mechanics. I played one 30 years ago!

So after a lot more reading….for me gnomes I ere initially a turnoff due to level limits in 1e. But I liked their flavor.

From 3e on, I was less happy with flavor (crazy/silly inventor stuff). I think I could go more with a forest gnome or svirfneblin.

In the latter case—a svirfneblin—-I could play an artificer that rebelled and escaped the under dark and uses “infernal tech” encountered in interactions with duergar or something.

So my interest in gnomes changes according to different lore. It’s the “silly playful” that I personally reject and assume It’s not just me. Final answer.

(So if people realize they can change lore or get rid of the tinker stuff I bet interest in gnomes goes up). Mechanically I am
Surprised how good they actually are).

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
what is it that makes gnomes good in your eyes then?
I like the inherent eccentricity of gnomes, and their lightly magical nature. Where halflings are generally of a congenial disposition, but discounted as serious threats, gnomes make some people nervous. That can lead to some enjoyable role playing. It's enough of a difference for me to prefer gnomes when I'm choosing a small race.
The forest gnome I played in "Rise of the Runelords" was a rogue from the River Kingdoms. His family lost their home when river scrags migrated in, and some years later Quokgol Redthistle as an overly-curious youth overheard a conversation between the harbor master he worked for and a local crime lord. He had to flee when they tried to kill him to keep him quiet. He credited his survival to Desna, a goddess of luck.
Once he arrived in Sandpoint in his wanderings and got sucked up in the adventure, he also multi-classed as a sorcerer dedicated to Desna (Celestial origin).
Unfortunately, reality kept the group from playing through the entire campaign, but I always liked the way Quok was evolving.

Last edited:

Remove ads