• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Why Do People Hate Gnomes?

MGibster

Legend
I'm guessing so many people hate gnomes because of the final episode of The World of David the Gnome. In "The Mountains Beyond," David and his wife Lisa ascend the mountain so they can die in peace away from their loved ones. No doubt this traumatic episode left many individuals scarred for life and any mention of Gnomes conjures up unbearable sadness.

Oofta

Legend
A more serious answer is that, as others have stated, gnomes don't really have a niche. That and it's kind of a running joke, much like @Snarf Zagyg pretends to hate bards even though we all secretly know they're his favorite class.

Personally I do occasionally play gnomes but I have to admit that whether playing or running NPCs they do tend to have some annoying qualities. It's part of their charm. As far as niche, I tend to run them almost always as rock/tinker gnomes which is really a WoW thing but at least it gives them a unique identity.

MGibster

Legend
A more serious answer is that, as others have stated, gnomes don't really have a niche. That and it's kind of a running joke, much like @Snarf Zagyg pretends to hate bards even though we all secretly know they're his favorite class.
While I don't hate gnomes, that's pretty much how I feel about them. But then I feel like that about some of the other D&D species as well including the goliath. In my experience, the goliath pretty much fills a similar niche to the half-orc but I haven't found a lot of people who hate them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads