• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you keep playing 4e?

Wormwood

Adventurer
Because preparing for games is as much fun as running or playing in them.
I enjoy being a DM again.
Those.

In fact, both of my groups have so fully embraced 4e that I think I may be burning out a little bit.

As one of the original 4e fanboys, I find this position slightly awkward.

I mean seriously, my Thursday group is running two campaigns (alternating weeks) because everyone wants to DM---which is unprecedented.

And my Sunday group (which I DM for) is so rabidly enthusiastic that when I try to wrap up a session I feel like the last chopper out of Saigon. And I basically need a notarized doctors note to cancel a session. One of the players actually started a second game (on a different night) just to get a fix when I'm not running.

I realize that most other DMs and players would kill for such 'problems', and I don't want to sound ungrateful. Just be careful what you wish for. ;)

Filcher

First Post
Ah....thank you. This feels like a cool breeze.

We are loving 4E because of ....

• Ease of DM'ing
  • Great 3pp support from select publishers (instead of millions of crappy 3pps)
  • A party has to work together to survive! (No more room for the a$$hole mage.)
  • Simplicity of ruleset
  • Game play reminds us of the Mentzer Box Set.
  • You can't ruin a PC's career by a bad feat choice at level 1

MacMathan

Explorer
Let's see;

More Fun!

Easier to DM

More exciting, faster, less repetitive combats, everyone gets to do cool things.

Couldn't be happier.

Here is hoping new players are not put of by the rancor displayed here often

LostSoul

Adventurer
It's fun.

I like the powers. I like how the players can use them to great effect sometimes, if the situation is right - two players setting up an attack, doing something smart I never thought of, even just pushing someone into a pit is cool. I like that tactical goodness.

I like the monsters. Playing them is a blast (controllers are my favourite). I like how they all have individual abilities that give them signatures. Sometimes I think they drop too soon, though. :)

I like healing surges. It provides pressure in each encounter as well as in the adventuring day. Right now the PCs are going to have to make some hard choices because they don't have a safe place for an extended rest.

I like skill challenges. I think they need a little work, but I've found that if I prepare them then I can get a really cool result.

I like quests. I like the fact that players can tell me what they want to do and go after it, getting rewarded for it.

I like stretching my creativity to come up with interesting encounters that do wierd, wild things. Things that don't have any other basis in the rules except colour and a level. That's all I need to work with and make something run really well.

I like stunts. That's probably the coolest thing about the game for me. I really like it when a player pulls some crazy trick out of his ass.

Rechan

Adventurer
malraux said:
That.

Also, monsters. And the simplicity of the system. There are so many campaigns, adventures, and encounters I want to run, that I just do not have the time for it. And...

Let's face it. I just love the damn system.

But also the monsters.

Last edited:

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I like the cosmology, gods, and the way they revamped some monsters. The core setting they've made is mythically D&D IMO.

I like the tactical combats. Lots of movement and things are very dynamic. I also like how there are many ways for PCs to work together and set things up for other PCs.

It's enjoyable and easy for the DM to create encounters. I like how 4e actively encourages the DM to work with or change rules to liven up the game. It's whole philosophy on DMing is a refreshing change for me.

Ahglock

First Post

I like 4e so far. I am having fun and so are the players. We like the tactical miniatures side of things.(one likes this side too much IMO) Its quick and easy to run, everyone has maneuvers, even if overpriced I really dig rituals.

But since I saw this and the legion of THIS responses, I got to ask why this? The enjoyment of designing an adventure to me comes from the story and personalities I create. The mechanics of a system are totally irrelevant to that. What does 4e give you that makes it fun to create an adventure for? Honest question, not trying to be snarky or a threadcrapper.

Remove ads